PDA

View Full Version : MS Word 2002 Question

RR-Guy
06-22-2006, 10:57 AM
I have another question on Word.

When I start up Word it asks if I want to "Enable Macros"?
I don't mind clicking "Enable Macros" once, but it asks me 3 times, and I have to click three times. Why 3 times? Can I remedy this annoyance?

OS is WinXP SP2

Thanks.
Regards,
Al Clemens

dixon
06-23-2006, 05:15 AM
Hey Al,

That's a security issue, since certain malicious programs can exploit Macros vulnerabilities in Word. You can keep that prompt from bugging you by going to Tools--> Macro--> Security--> and selecting "Security Level: Low". Then, click "Trusted Sources" and check the boxes labeled "Trust all installed add-ins and templates" and "Trust access to Visual Basic Project". Be advised, however, that this procedure does somewhat increase your vulnerability to infection via other peoples' Word documents, so make sure you've got decent antivirus installed, updated, and configured to automatically scan documents upon opening them. Hope this helps!

Fred Dixon
www.computer-cowboy.net

Usmorlans.com
06-23-2006, 05:28 AM
Thank Fred! Al, You will also want to make sure that you have your office products updated from Microsoft as there is a Security Fix for this vulnerability in the current updates. Thanks for the good Question

RR-Guy
06-23-2006, 08:29 AM
I thank you both for replying, have opted to drop the security level down to "Low".

My machine always has the latest updates and have a/v software running with latest definitions.

I still would like to know why it asked 3 times if I wanted to "Enable Macros".

Thanks.
Regards,
Al Clemens

Usmorlans.com
06-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Al, That prompt would have popped up each and every time Word came upon a use for a macro. No way to tell you exactly how many times it would come up in the use of just one document. I have heard of as many as 6. It could also ask for each "Office" program that uses Macros too. It should not be doing it if you made the security settings change