PDA

View Full Version : Moquez Family of Long's Canon

MFlores
09-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Looking for family members of the Moquez family. I am trying to locate pictures of any Moquez family members. I have a few pictures that I am entering into my book "The LaCrue Family of Las Animas County, Colorado" I have a photo of Jose A. Moquez and one of his mother and father Juan Moquez and Ricarda Cordova. Jose's wife was Manuelita Arguello. Manuelita died in 1954 and I have no picture for her. I have heard there was a photo of her, but have been unable to find one! There might be some Moquez families living in Pueblo, I would like to hear from them. Thanks for any help!

Manuel Flores

Mmary Lou1225
05-20-2007, 01:47 AM
:)Manuel, I just saw this posting and see that you have a picture of Ricarda Cordova and her family. I would love to have a picture of Ricarda for my geneology. Thank you
Mary Lou [email protected]

PAMM
05-20-2007, 09:55 AM
MaryLou I sent you a picture (separate e-mail) on this family. I hope it's the right one. It was printed in the GSHA journal "Trinidad" V 5 #4 Winter 1993. The info was from Dr. Eugene Torres. Manuel, if this is not the picture you have, let me know and I'll get one to you.

Pat

MFlores
05-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Pat, I'm sure it's the same photo.

Thanks,
Manuel

alice romero
05-21-2007, 12:15 PM
My husband is also related to the Moquez's family. His great-great grandfather was Teofilo Moquez from Long's Canyon and his grand-mother was Grandma Rosita Arguello.

We would sure love to have a photo of any of the Moquez's or Arguello's if possible.

Alice

Dodie
05-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Pat and Manuel, I just sent the picture file to Alice on the one shown in GSHA journal that Pat sent me.

alice romero
05-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Thank you so much for the photo.

In the Aultman Photo Collection there is a Joe Moguez....16779.....1907.

PAMM
05-29-2007, 02:05 PM
To purchase the "Trinidad" journal of GSHA mentioned above, please contact GSHA P.O. Box 9606 Denver CO 80209-0606. Or call
Abel @719-948-2535, in Pueblo CO. The journal is Volumn 5 #4
Spring 1993. It's about $9.
Pat

MFlores
05-30-2007, 02:52 PM
I have the picture from Aultman Studio for Jose Moguez, I also have his Obit, if anyone would want it!!

Manuel Flores

alice romero
06-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Manuel, Is he the one that is listed in the census as being an inventor ? And he would be the father of Orlando Moguez ? Right ?

In my research I went as far back as Teofilo Moguez, but just recently I found another Moguez as living in Texas. Do you have any information beyond Teofilo ?

I also have a document of Teofilo Moguez as being born in Holland ! From moccassins to wooden shoes.....that was a shock to my husband!

Thanks for the photo.

Alice

MFlores
06-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Alice, I really haven't found to much on Tefilio, I can only say that I found them in New Mexico. Yes he is the inventor that is listed in the Census.
Here is the obituary on Fred L.Sanchez
The Obituary only states:

Sanchez Fred L.
(84) Denver, Husband of the late Marie Sanchez, Father of Antonio Sanchez, Cathy (Jose) Pacheco & Miguel Sanchez, 5 Grandchildren. 6 Great Grandchildren. Numerous other relatives. Viewing 9 a.m, followed by services at 10 a.m. Friday, Presentation Church 7th & Julian. Interment Ft. Logan Nation Cemetery.

Rocky Mountain News 5/31/2007(Business Section) page 11

MFlores
06-03-2007, 12:38 PM
This the picture of Jose Abran Moguez: Jose's parents were Juan Bautista Moguez and Ricarda Cordova
http://www.trinidadco.com/forum/uploaded/20070603130910.jpg

Also Jose's death article:
http://www.trinidadco.com/forum/uploaded/20070603131130.jpg

Photos of Teofilio Moguez and son Juan Bautista Mogez:
http://www.trinidadco.com/forum/uploaded/20070603132345.jpg

This photo was taken July 4th 1923 at Delagua, Colorado.
From background left to right: Jesus LaCrue, Avaristo LaCrue, Pedro LaCrue and Nazario Arguello, by tree. Foreground: Unknown girl and Juan Moguez:

http://www.trinidadco.com/forum/uploaded/20070603133701.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pic's

Manuel Flores

Dodie
06-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Very nice pictures and thank you Manuel for sharing them with the forum and the article on Jose Abran Moquez.

PAMM
06-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Thank you Manuel for sharing. All the Moquez men were very handsome men. And what a tragic death for Jose. This story really made me sad. Makes you wonder how many families dealt with these tragedies. Thanks again Manuel. These are exceptional.

Pat

Antonio
06-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Mr. Flores - I saw your posting of the photo of the men you identified as several of the LaCrue clan (the late Abel LaCrue of Denver was my cousin). The man you identified as Nazario Argüello does not resemble him (He is my maternal grandfather). Actually the man second from the left in the back row more closely resembles known images of José Nazario Argüello, which exist in my family's archives.

This is an interesting photo in that it also contains an image of my grandfather, Juan Bautista Moguez. I have a great photo of him as an older man sitting with his cane at his home in Long's Canyon. My father, Alfredo Leopoldo (Fred L. Sánchez) shared some great stories about Juan Moguez - which I have compiled for an upcoming book on the history of the cañon and its residents.

Esther
06-08-2007, 02:58 PM
What beautiful and interesting pictures.
Esther Deaguero Welp

Antonio
06-08-2007, 02:59 PM
The photo printed in "Trinidad" V 5 #4 Winter 1993 is from my family's archives - the original is on the wall at my parent's home in Denver and contains the images of Ricarda COrdova, Juan Bautista Moguez, Teofilo Moguez, Jose Nazario Argüello, Rosita Argüello (Moguez), Francisquita Argüello (baby) and two children from the Moguez clan. There is also a woman that my mother, Crusita Argüello (Sanchez) once identified as "Tia Inez" (last name unknown). I personally submitted that photo to Dr. Torres at the time, for publication int the GSHA Journal and it generated a great connection to the rest of the Argüello clan and the publication of Jerol Ernesto Argüello's book on the history of the Argüello family in New Mexico.

Dodie
06-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Antonio, my condolences to you and your family on the passing of your father.

MFlores
06-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Antonio, The photo of the LaCrue brothers was given to me by the Family of Avaristo LaCrue and it was their grandfather, they stated that Avaristo was seated behind the young girl with Jesus LaCrue to his right and Pedro LaCrue (with tie and hat) to his left, we tried to find some simularities to the man by the tree, since there were only three LaCrue brothers alive at that time (1923)we could only assume that it was Nazario, since Juan Moguez was in the photo and these families were close, as you know. I also have a picture of Theodorita Duran ca. 1890's which was given to me by the family of Cleofas LaCrue-Lopez daughter, Eva Davis (Passed away in 2002 in Denver). The other LaCrue brother was Jose Marcial LaCrue but he died at the Primero Mine explosion in 1910 along with his son Samuel LaCrue.

<center></center>Photo of Theodorita Duran
http://www.trinidadco.com/forum/uploaded/20070608184959.jpg

Photo of Cleofas LaCrue daughter of Theodorita Duran

http://www.trinidadco.com/forum/uploaded/20070608185621.jpg

Antonio, I would love to have more information on the Moguez family,
you can e-mail me at [email protected] I have been trying to find a photo of Manuelita Arguello-Moguez and some of here children.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for your help,
Manuel Flores

Antonio
06-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Dodie - Muchisimas Gracias - My father and mother are missed greatly in our family circle. My father was feeling his time in this life was soon approaching the end, and I was able to bring him to Long's Canyon for a final visit to the place he felt at home - among the piñones y cedros. The smell of estafiate and other plants in the canyon were cherished by him and he longed for these familiar smells as he aged.

Antonio
06-26-2007, 06:05 PM
THe death certificate of Teofilo Moguez lists his father John Moguez as being born in Holland. Teofilo was actually born in Taos, New Mexico and was allegedly baptized there as well with Horace Long being his godfather.

sermon
02-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Does anyone have any information on Teofilio Moguez's wife, Maria de la Luz Trujillo? Leslie

Antonio
03-02-2008, 07:20 AM
According to the research I have completed - Maria de la Luz Trujillo was married to Teofilo Moguez in Taos, NM on April 24,1864.

According to the oral history she was from one of the indigenous tribes in the area - perhaps Apache or maybe from the Taos pueblo.

Thus far the record has not revealed her actually lineage.

It is known that she was very dark complected and was called "Mama Luz" by those who knew and loved her.

There is a known photograph of her but it disappeared after the funeral of Rosita Moguez(Argüello). SUch is the fate of such items - I have asked around and no-one will "fess up" as to the whereabouts of this valuable treasure.