PDA

View Full Version : Broadband availability in Trinidad

Landstander
12-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi All!

I am wondering what (if any) broadband internet options are available in and around Trinidad.

Thanks!

admin
12-12-2003, 06:51 AM
Broadband?

Well I am not for sure but don't think so. The City of Trinidad has Adelphia High Speed Cable 1-800-626-6299 and then there are some dial up services including Activematrix.net and AOL and Earthlink.

We use two way satellite and its about 400-1200 kbps down and only about 33kbps up and that is the best we can find but its certainly better than dialup.

Hope this helps

Charlie

chaley
12-12-2003, 07:20 AM
Amigo.net offers line-of-sight 256 kbps wireless access in Trinidad for $49.95 per month (see the "Outlaw Wireless" link on their webpage). I have a cabin SW of town and some of our neighbors have set up a relay with transceivers to make it available in our area. It's a good thing because dial-up over our telephone lines is pretty awful. Apparently, there is a lot of out-of-date telecom equipment in the area.

Landstander
12-12-2003, 08:25 AM
Thank you all for the information. It is good to hear that there are some broadband choices available. I used some of Trinidad's local Bed & Breakfast's addresses and phone numbers on Adelphia's service check web page and it shows that service is available. Also, the Amigo.net looks great too since I know small wireless ISPs are typically run by locals for locals and you get the perks of working with someone you can actually talk to.
I curently live in a small town (population less than 200) and the only options are ISDN and satellite - but for the work I do satellite is not viable (high latency makes VPN un-workable). For the cost of what I pay for ISDN, it looks like I could get 3 separate broadband providers in Trinidad. Hooray for living in a big town! ;)

Thanks again!