PDA

View Full Version : Leo Bonfadini, age 87

Patrick
12-03-2004, 03:51 AM
Leo G. Bonfadini died from cancer at Mount San Rafael Hospital in Trinidad, CO, on December 2, 2004. He was 87 years old. His lovely wife of 58 years (Pauline) was at his side, along with their only daughter (Bernadine), and also her only daughter (Brenda.)

Leo was born in Trinidad on August 18, 1917, to Bert and Rosa Bonfadini. As a youngster he attended Holy Trinity and worked at the store, Bonfadini's Grocery that is. Leo and his younger brother Charlie worked for their parents at Bonfadini's Grocery and Market and inherited the store following the death of their father, Bert. Bonfadini's was famous for their homemade Italian Sausage. The proud brothers worked at the store along with their wives for decades and decades until they closed the store in 1999. As a devoted Catholic, Leo was a member of Holy Trinity Catholic Church.

Leo is survived by his wife, Pauline, their daughter Bernadine, three grandchildren, Donnie, Patrick and Brenda, and one great-granddaughter, Logan.

I always felt like everyone in Trinidad knew my Grandpa.
I remember a few years ago I was at a restaurant in Aurora, CO and my buddy overheard a guy talking about Trinidad. So my friend thought he would give this guy the Bonfadini test. My friend asks him, "I heard you talking about Trinidad and I was curious if you have you ever heard of Bonfadini's?" The man came over to our table and told us a story about when he was down on his luck and needed food for his family. He told us that he went into the store and Leo told him to get whatever he wanted. This man had no money and no means of repayment. The guy seemed so appreciative so many years later. He wanted to buy my friend and me a drink. So my friend tells me, "Your Grandpa is a hero!"

I am very proud of that story. I like to think that many people from Trinidad have stories like this. I remember my Grandpa's huge hands but they weren't as big as his heart.

Keep making your bolo ties in heaven.

We love you and we miss you. We will take care of Grandma. You are a hero to all of us.

Patriko

Alletta
12-03-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
I just wanted to say that your story reminds me of one I have heard all of my life. My Grandfather W.O. Sherman did the same thing. My Dad and uncles always said that he gave away more food than he sold at the Sherman Mercantile that is still standing on Commercial Street. It is now Franchetta's Antiques

collie1108
12-11-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, I use to go into Bonfadinis years ago when I was in High School. And remember it being a very friendly store.
K. Colinsworht

Mark Romero
03-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Sorry to hear of Leo's death. I remember hanging out in Bonfadini's at lunch during the school year. Sometimes after school I would go hang out with Charlie Bonfadini in the meat department. I have nice memories of the two of them.

MANNYG
01-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Patrick,
I remember him well, we lived 2 doors west of the store in the late 40's. I went to school with his grandson Leo at Mt. Carmel and Holy Trinity. He was a good, decent, generous man. I remember during the 50's folks were out of jobs, mines were closed, no work and no money, yet he extended credit to anyone who need it for food. I went thru the area about 8 years ago and was saddend to see the store was closed.