Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Dreaming

Colorado Dreaming

I grew up in Texas and we would go backpacking every year in the Sangre de Cristos.I have found memories of going to Trinidad to get a burger or get a motel for a hot shower.I aways liked the size of Trinidad and I liked it's downtown.Not many towns that size have nice city centers.
    I'm now in my mid-forties and would like to relocate in about ten years.By then my kids will be out of school and I can cut back on my practice.I live in a nice mid-size city,but it is getting too big.
    we went to Ouray this year and drove through Montrose,another 10,000 pop. size city.It does'nt have as much charm as Trinidad.Raton NM is in the same size range how do Raton and Trinidad compare? Taxes,housing,friendliness,looks?
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-04-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    bigsky

For me personaly I grew up visiting my grand parents in trinidad eveyweekend. it was so exciting for us to go out there. now it is not so exciting only because my grandparents have passed on and as an adult we don't share excitment as we did whern we were children. butr i can tell you when comparing Raton to Trinidad there is no comparence. Trinidad by far is more welcoming. friendly place to be. with the taxes and housing I couls not tell you, I have no idea but if I were to take a guess I would think it was less to pay in trinidad. I know that you can get a good peice of land for a lot less then anywhere else. I would go for Trinidad.The sign say DE Cordizon De Trinidad. The heart of Trinidad
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-04-2010 at 02:08 PM.

This is only my opinion but the difference is more about the governments of the two STATES that really makes Trinidad and Raton different...I once read in some commentary that as charming as Raton is it only can wish it was Trinidad. I can only speak of my own experience and that is in Trinidad. My family has been here (Engleville) since the early 1900's and Trinidad has sort of always been perceived as the BIG BROTHER to its little sister to the south. I would assume that this had to do with Trinidad being the last stop to rest before assending Raton Pass and some, for the times,very harsh travel. Trinidad became the Center Railway point for the cattle industry from all points of the compass thus establishing Trinidad as "The Place To Be". Trinidad at one point was considered as a choice for the new state capitol. Trinidad also developed its colorful reputation during this period as many of the famous gunfighters hid out here. This practice was continued during the 40's when Chicago mobsters did the same. Not to take over the town but to "lay low". Tunnels under the city show a much more true picture of the lore. When in Trinidad keep your eyes peeled for pictures of the city in that time...they hang in businesses all over town and are quite telling. Trinidad has a subtle charm that is like wine...the more you sip the more you want.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-04-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    www.Usmorlans.com the place for all things computer

I so forgot about the under ground. I remwember as a child my uncle use to tell us stories about the underground city they had in Trinidad. yes the stories were fair tail. I am sure he made most of it up as he told them. but i do remember some where on main street not to long ago. they was a spot you could see underneth on of the buildings where there as that activity
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-04-2010 at 02:10 PM.

In the 60's my friends and I used to enter the tunnel on Pine St. and you could go over near Commercial St. They prohibited that fun quickly as it was not safe. Some of the old timers can probably elaborate. I think there are pictures somewhere on the web. I will look.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-04-2010 at 02:10 PM.

You cannot get a good piece of land in Trinidad these days for reasonable prices. That was something from 'long ago'
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-04-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    Bev Constantine

geez! I find it very hard to 'imagine' that Trinidad was EVER a choice for the new State Capitol? You must be joking??
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-04-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Bev Constantine

Pet that is awsome I remember wanting to be able to do that but we were not snicky enought to get away with it we would get cought before we would get to the tunnels. If you find any thing on the web let me know. as for beconstantine don't be so negative. some of us enjoy finding this stuff out. Trinidad has some great history....
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-04-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Trinidad was indeed a very "Big" city. The cattle and mine industries were growing and with this the Turning Point of the West was Trinidad not Denver.
    I disagree on land. You can purchase land at extremely reasonable prices. The home I was living in Denver in had less land and just a little bigger home and sold for 3 times the cost of my Trinidad home. Why should land owners in Trinidad sell their land at depression prices when the rest of the state real estate is thriving? Bev must of had a bad experience here...sorry. Maybe you should vent...don't worry we can take it. We are used to criticism, especially from those not here.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-04-2010 at 02:13 PM.

We found land very reasonable in Trinidad. That is one of the reasons we bought there. For the area to be so beautiful, it is very reasonably priced. I have a feeling that may change as it is one of the few places in Colorado to get land that is beautiful, yet affordable.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-04-2010 at 02:14 PM.