Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carnegie Public Library

Carnegie Public Library

This is in response to... lvnrckts... comment as to the fact that since I am at the library almost on a daily basis, that I should be satified with what I have. Being satified with what you have is being stagnant. History is an going event and is not stagnant, nor am I. Yes, I want more obituaries, more names of soldiers, more information about our community, and more lists of marriage certificates. These are the tools I use to help people in their genealogy. We should always strive to make a good thing even better. In this case, the history collection. I am grateful for all of Trinidad's early preservationists. For without them I would not be able go into that small little room and come out with so, so much information on "our" ancestors. I had the HONOR to be able to know and serve the legendary Mr. Glen Aultman at the library. He was a very special individual. Bernice Kane, who would go out into the country and record the names on the headstones and would scurry back into the library to record them. Louise Hanks, author of "What Made Trinidad-Trinidad". Such an elegant historian of Trinidad. Morris F. Taylor, my TSJC history teacher and author of "Trinidad, Colorado". Mr. Patrick Donachy, my science teacher, author of so many books about coal camps. Dr. Gene Torres, author of 5-6 books on the Torres genealogy, which he donated copies of to the library. And many, many more people who have taken time "out their own lives" to make the history collection what it is today. They need their respect for the efforts that they put forth, so "we" as a community should ensure that all of their dedication IS respected and especially.....used ! Not to be locked up in this room but to be secured well enough to keep it's contents safe and yet accesible. When another individual and myself, who are so desperately striving for this respect and the proper use of these materials in this room, stand in front of the library board, we are not there for ourselves, we are there representing all of the people who walk into the library looking for their loved ones, and the many people who, like on this forum , are merely looking for their ancestors. We are only 2 voices, but there are many who may be unable to speak their feelings because of their positions in our community. We have many who support us like the "Friends of the Library", "Trinidad Historical Society",& the "Hispanic Genealogical Society". And if I leave anyone out, I apologize. It is not the newspapers "civic duty" to archive their papers for research, it is the Carnegie Public Library's RESPONSIBILITY to do this for the library. If I am able to go into the library and get newspaper articles from the late 1800's, then why, in 2005, can't I go and access newspapers from both of our local newspapers. Our ancestors did their part. Are we doing ours ? What are we saving for our children? As one who visits the library regularly I think I can speak from first hand knowledge that ......WE ARE NOT. I want my, and your great-great-grandchildren to be able to go and find our obituary or anything that would concern us. The newspapers are NOT being housed in an "efficent manner" as you stated they would be. Last week as I was looking for two old Spanish Newpapers that need to be micro-filmed (and could not find ) I noticed one very old Italian Newspaper (which I believe is already on film) bent in half with other papers on top. The paper of these old newspapers are very fragile,and should be placed flat. Being as you are a big part of the library, aren't the newspapers sent to Denver to be micro-filmed on a regular basis? If you are concerned about a fire hazard, then maybe scented candles should not be used in the library as they are. The head librarian is and should be the stewart of "ALL" of the library, including the history collection. Here is a quote from David Lowental: "The past remains intregal to us all, individually and collectively. We must CONCEDE the ancients their place...But the past is not simply back there, in a seperate amd foreign country, it is assimulated in ourselves & resurrected in our ever changing present". I am not the library's enemy. I am only trying to do my part, as being a good stewart of what was left to US ALL. Trinidad has a "treasure" in that history collection, but without proper supervision over it, it will be lost, and things will continue to be tossed out,like our year books were !
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Alice, very good post. Would like to add the following:

Library Bill of Rights
    The American Library Association affirms that all libraries are forums for information and ideas, and that the following basic policies should guide their services.

I. Books and other library resources should be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community the library serves. Materials should not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation.

II. Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.

III. Libraries should challenge censorship in the fulfillment of their responsibility to provide information and enlightenment.

IV. Libraries should cooperate with all persons and groups concerned with resisting abridgment of free expression and free access to ideas.

V. A person‚€™s right to use a library should not be denied or abridged because of origin, age, background, or views.

VI. Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adopted June 18, 1948, by the ALA Council; amended February 2, 1961; January 23, 1980; inclusion of ‚€œage‚€Ě reaffirmed January 23, 1996
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Did you all see Alice's letter to the editor in the Chronicle News? Go Alice Go Alice!
    www.Usmorlans.com the place for all things computer

Pete what did Alice write? And Alice if you are reading this please email me. Need to know everything and I ditto Pete, "Go Alice Go Alice"!

In response to the diatribe. You missed my point. My point is simply this: why do you bite the hand that feeds? On one hand you and your cohorts want to give almost exclusive attention to the history room, yet you attack the library at every turn. You advocate to certain segments of the population the banning of books, yet you post that you only want to "move" books. You and your cohort brag that the library is doing your bidding because you brought the historical society into the fray that you created, yet you continue to criticize with no factual basis. You are dealing in the realm of opinions and criticism. Negativity breeds negativity, and that is what seems to follow you and mr. fletcher. Who are the cats and who are the mice. Step up and act for the positive. Work to finance and build "your" history room, and quit trying to tell my children where and what to read. Keep in mind that you are not only trying to support your hobby and/or job at the expense of all the other users and supporters of the library. All I ask is for the citizens look at the substance of alice's comments and see how much poison she injects into any reasonable dialogue. US, you posted an objection to the banning of books, but you fail to see the wolves in sheeps' clothing.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Alice I am glad there are folks like there out you fighting to keep our history and treasures safe and intact. I have been working on genealogy for 10 years and because of the Colorado Archives , Penrose Carnegie Special collections Library, Garfield County Library and others have I pieced together some of my family history of over 100 years ago. I have seen other places where records are lost forever. Although I don't live in Las Animas County I grew up there and I wish you success in this . Thanks

This saddens me very much. Alice is a wonderful person with a good heart willing to help anyone that needs her help and to state "In response to the diatribe" well, all I can say is, look who is talking. That was not nice of you to bash her in the first place. I agree with everything Tex has stated. US is an intelligent person and I am telling you he definitely can see "the wolves in sheeps' clothing". I have high respect for Alice for the work in preserving the history of Trinidad.

Well ok then...let's get down onto this. Here is how I feel. I feel that we MUST NOT EVER ban a book nor should we delete history or minimize it. Makes quite a quandry doesn't it? How do we please everyone? CAN'T!!!! We can't give a section for maybe 25 kids a year to use and we can't really get rid of the history! We all respond differently to what we consider strife or crisis. Not everyone looks for a positive and sees the glass half full. To speak out be it in the negative or positive is the quintesential right of democracy. I applaud Alice for her work and for her fight. I don't have to fully agree with either of you to realize that the light and plight of small library is as important as the biggest. If you went to the library oh lets say 3 times a week and used just a specific section for whatever reason and someone wanted to take it away would you be jawing at it? Hopefully that answer is yes. That is what Alice is doing. Jumping on the bash Alice wagon isn't the answer. You ask me to see the wolf in sheeps clothing. I do and it is neither side. It is what makes us Americans...difference. Poison or dialogue? I see dialogue from Alice that you for some reason take personal. Too bad because if you 2 worked together probably be a happy outcome for everyone. I will start my personal investigation into this after the Thanksgiving holiday. I imagine I am going to find that everyone is correct. Hmmmmm::::!
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 07:38 PM.

My intention is not to bash alice, and as was clear in the other thread, I did not intend to bash DB. In some ways, the forum has become a mutual admiration society, and just because I express my opinion forcefully, that should not mean that people run to the defense of others just because of who they are on the board. Alice and mr. fletcher do not just express their opinions here. They go to City Council meetings and library board meetings and lately they have resorted to name calling in the newspaper. Do they have their right to free speech? Yes they do. Do the opinions they express solve problems? No, they are negative and put people who volunteer or are paid minimal pay in a false light. Trinidad and Las Animas County finances the library at a rate of $10.80 per person [u]PER YEAR</u>. This rate is well below the national average. Yet, two people in this city write letters to the editor bashing the library, its board and director because they want more money allocated to the history room. I think they forget that children, the poor and the elderly also use the underfunded library. It is an allocation of resources issue, so for the time that the historical research people spend making a profit or bashing the library, they could be lowering the tone and working for the common good. Enough said. With that, I don't think I need US to arbitrate or moderate the discussion.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Lvnrckts, Good job of stating some facts. It gives your argument more credability but still you continue to bash. Can't you state an opinion without name calling and bashing and just state the facts that you have. Not imperative to anyone that you do but then your point would go further. I understand your point and agree largely with you but not in the attack. It IS somewhat of a group of pals here. That is normal as we are normal. I am not here to moderate but YOU made plenty of reference to me so you invited my reply. Don't be so harsh. People will listen to you and then all this defensive crap will stop. They ONLY negative post(s) here are yours. Think about it...you get more bees with honey than vinegar and your fight needs more bees. What Alice and Mr. Fletcher do by going to meetings and mailing etc...is what we each should be doing to express ourselves. I personally don't see that they shouldn't so if you can explain that to us it would help. Like it or not I don't care but if I see anyone attack my friends I stand in the way. It is my nature. I would do the same if I saw anyone starting any attack on you and just as vigorously. I don't see that what people like Alice do has any bearing on the rest of you. You are a very vocal person...use it to your advantage. Remember there are those that agree with you. So pull together and think of solutions without the other group. They aren't waiting for you to come around, right? They can't or won't be forced into your opinion if it is yelled at them right? You have kids and yelling or name calling just turns their ears right off. So how do we raise more money for the library is the key question. City doesn't have it or want to give it and I don't see that changing. Maybe we can go to Pioneer and get some sort of donation that would help or maybe there is some other solution that fits ALL. By just griping away at what we want we are all missing that if we made the library more profitable or found some way to flow some cash there then maybe everyone can get what they want. So like it or not by telling me that I can't see a wolf in Sheeps clothing you get my 2 cents...it is a forum afterall and maybe you hear me and do some good or maybe you get a bellyache...I will pray for the former. I would be happy after next week as I stated before to spend some time involved here. Not on a side per se but to find a solution. Want to meet with me and discuss your issues further? I would like that. I do agree with you and maybe I can help find a way to create peace and harmony and solve the real problem. Let me know. You know how to get a hold of me and I am quite sincere in my desire to help. It is up to you. You can stay mad or angry and lash out and trust me it will get you nada or you can try to work it all out and make it better for everyone. I also wanted to add that this issue is as important to me as TAHA and that I will continue to comment on any topic that it is important and does have an effect on me and mine as long as I have time. To tell me when I can and cannot speak is definately going to raise my ire.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 07:39 PM.