Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordova/Carmona Wedding

Hybrid View

Cordova/Carmona Wedding

While looking through the "El Anunciador" Vol. 34, 1938, I came across this article. I thought it would be nice to share it.

CORDOVA-CARMONA WEDDING

Miss Cora Carmona and Mr. Barron Cordova were united in matrimony at 7 o'clock, Wednesday evening, at the Catholic rectory. Rev. Fr. F.L. Sebastiani officiated.

The bride wore a gown of coral chiffon tied in the back with a dainty bow, with puffed sleeves, and a row of small buttons down the back. She wore a crescent corsage of gardenias, and in her hair was a halo of rhinestones and orange blossoms.

The bridesmaid, Miss Carmelita Cruz, wore a deep blue taffeta gown, with puffed sleeves, a gold brooch at the neck and small buttons down the back. Her corsage was composed of talisman roses and sweet peas. The groom was attended by his uncle, Mr Fernando Cordova.

After the ceremony, a wedding supper was served in the dining room of the Saddle Rock Cafe, covers being placed for sixty guests, all relatives and friends of the bridal couple, including Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Preston and his deputies, and deputies from the sheriff's office and their wives. Following the banquet, a reception was held at the Cordova home on Washington Street.

The bride is the grand-daughter of Mrs. Petra Trujillo and has lived here almost all her life. She attended the Trinidad public schools, also Trinidad Junior Colllege night school. For the past three months she has been a stenographer in the office of the county superintendent of schools. The groom is the son of Mr. Ben Cordova, a deputy in the sheriff's office. He also attended Trinidad schools.

The couple will make their future home in this city, where young Cordova is employed.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 02-28-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Thank you, Alice, for sharing the news article announcing the marriage of my parents in 1938. It is a precious reminder of them! I cherish the memory of them so dearly. They inspired in me integrity, a love of education, and a very special pride in my Spanish-Mexican heritage. Recently earning the Ph.D., I dedicated the dissertation of my doctoral research to my mom and dad. A tribute to them, my research was a phenomenology of the "Lived Experience of the Nortenas of Nuevo Mejico: Finding Voice and Claiming Identity." The study is the narrative of the lives of so many of us Latinas who grew up in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico with respect to our shared characteristics of language, religion & spirituality, education, family & relationships, skin color, and the pain & pride of claiming our ethnic heritage. Reading the newspaper announcement of my parents' marriage of 67 years ago deeply touched my heart! Thank you for helping me to remember and to share a memory and a tribute.
    Gloria Cordova
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 02-28-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Gloria, terrific article to have of your parents marriage. Most of us have the wedding picture but to have the events of the wedding, etc., is beyond words. And Alice, thanks for posting the article, I enjoyed reading it.

This is why people with talents like Alice's are so valuable. Reading the announcement was almost like you were there. I bet it made Gloria feel warm and cozy all over. When I drive the streets around Trinidad, Bon Carbo, Weston, etc. I get a feeling of being where my grandparents and father's family roamed in their younger days. Thanks again Alice for hope that I may some day hear more about my family's past.

christollynn, the following inquiry has been posted on Genealogy.com regarding your family:

Posted by: maurcedes cordova (ID *****4034) Date: December 18, 2005 at 20:56:28 of 795
    Looking Pedro Antonio Chavez married to Maria Felipe Fresquez Colorado/New mexico area

Dodie, thanks for that information about Antonio Chavez and Maria Fresquez, I think I might have found a 2nd cousin. She also lives here in Colorado Springs also.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 02-28-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Can you give me a little more on your family my grandmother was married to a Felix Cordova and I'm wondering if there is any connection.

RE: Felix CORDOVA

Over the years, I have compiled a large database of CORDOVA and related families, including many that I've not yet been able to connect to my direct family line. I'm of the belief that "todos son primos y primas," as my precious dad used to tell me about all our early settler ancestors from New Mexico and Colorado. What is your grandmother's name, who was married to Felix Cordova, and I'll see what connection we may have. I just finished entering lots more data from Walsenburg birth/baptisms. Looking forward to hearing from you. Like the other researchers who help others on this forum, I love being able to provide information that may help make connections and discoveries for others and for myself.

Gloria Cordova
    Native Trinidadian

My grandmothers name is theresa baros maiden name manzanares she was married once before to raymond baros and they had 6 kids including my mother.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 02-28-2010 at 05:07 PM.

RE FELIX CORDOVA m. THERESA MANZANARES

While I have several records for a "Felix Cordova," with no spouse listed, I don't currently know if any of these would be your Felix Cordova. I'll keep your query and if/when I find something I'll return and post for you.

Best wishes & blessings.
    Gloria Cordova
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 02-28-2010 at 05:07 PM.