Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information

Thread: A couple of notes on Tip 1

A couple of notes on Tip 1

Great tips! A couple of additions/caveats, though, are in order. CCleaner is a useful tool when used cautiously. However, it's a rather robust little utility that can raise havoc if used indiscriminately. It directly alters the registry in ways that can have unintended consequences. Specifically, if everything it offers you is selected, it can remove programs, fonts, application paths, the ability to recognize file extensions and other items folks might regret removing. Proceed with caution!

Many...but not all...popups are generated by way of a virtually useless Windows feature called "Messenger". To permanently prevent such popups, go to "Start", "Run", type in "services.msc", scroll down and right click on "Messenger". Select "Properties". In the middle of the new screen, there's a box labeled "Startup type". Click the arrow and select "Disable". Now the annoying creeps out there will have to find another way to ruin your day.:D

-- Fred Dixon
    www.computer-cowboy.net
    Last edited by Usmorlans.com; 02-27-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Fred. Thank you! This is exactly what I would like to see here. I didn't go into each of the added programs and how to use them safely. Spybot can get pretty ugly too if you get into the wrong advanced settings. I will work on a post to explain each of the added programs and how to safely and beneficially use them.
    Messenger...I suggest that you also REMOVE it from your system completely. This is done in XP systems by going to Control Panel and then select add/remove windows components. Scroll down the list and you will find a checkmark next to Windows Messenger. Click on the checkmark to remove it and select Next at the bottom of the screen. The naughty Messenger will be removed and then you will click finish. This is not a recommended action for persons with PC's in office settings. Check with your system administrator first in this case.
    Fred...thanks again...please feel free to add and post like crazy with me here. The more knoweledge the better

I hate asking this but am curious to the term Messenger. Is this the same as using Instant Messenger

Hi Dodie,
    Nope, they're completely different things. The messenger service was originally built into Windows to allow network administrators to conveniently communicate with users in a corporate environment. Hardly anybody uses it these days, even for the intended purpose, and regular home users have no need of it whatsoever. It's basically just a security hole that the scum of the internet has figured out how to use for burying you with popup ads. You can also get a virus via that service, which is another wonderful reason for disabling it. Hope this clarifies things.
    -- Fred Dixon
    www.computer-cowboy.net
    Last edited by Usmorlans.com; 02-27-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Hi Fred, thank you for the info and yes it does clarify everything for me.

Just to add...in my own network we found it much easier to just have everyone use a private messenger like MSN or Yahoo to communicate. It works better and makes sense for a lot of network administrators to just remove it. This can be done using a simple script for wholesale network changes. Won't post script either but a network administrator should be able to find it without too much effort. Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger are definately to seperate products and they don't always work together very well.
    If you have Windows 98 or ME you should not be experiencing too much trouble with this as this really occured with introduction of XP