Black Flag Jealous Again $15.95!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Speed Internet

High Speed Internet

We will be moving to the Rancho La Garita area in about 2 or 3 weeks and I was wondering if anyone knows of a high speed internet service that is available out there. We live in Trinidad now and have Adelphia, but I have checked with AOL and several others and they don't have high speed coverage in our area yet.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-09-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Have you tried www.TotalSpeed.net?
    They serve many other areas but I am not sure which ones.
    I don't know if they serve the Trinidad area but I know they do the Denver area. I was a customer of theirs for many years but my son decided he was going to get me DSL & since he is paying for it I had to go along with his phone service.

Try www.direcway.com . This is a DSL system that has an upload speed of approx. 128 Mgs and Downloads aapproximately 865 Mgs. It requires a satellite dish mounted on your home and an exterior modem, but is well worth it. It is a good company and a great service.
    Regards,
    Gary K. Brashar

Hi all - the direcway is actually a sliding window technology satellite system, not DSL (DSL is wired technology). It is very expensive when compared to other options. Consumer Reports analysis concludes that they have one of the worst solutions based on pricing and other criteria such as realized speeds. I would suggest looking at all other solutions first and choose direcway as a last option. Broadband is loosely defined, but to me is anything that exceeds the equivalent of 1.44 MBits (T1 speed). No consumer system will provide 865 MBits. Note that there is a huge difference between MB(ytes) and MBits) My quess is that Gary meant to state 865 KB download which is very slow in contrast to other common connection solutions.

I agree with you DB. There are few options at this point outside the city limits BUT that won't last forever. A little birdie tells me that soon we will have more DSL types of service in the outlying areas. The growth in the heartland has definately outgrown the industry's ability to supply the speed but they are continuing to improve. My suggestion is that you check with Qwest out there and see what they say. If not use Dial Up for a while. I know it's sorry but there are ways to speed up things some and I really doubt that it will be real long before there are alternatives.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-09-2010 at 01:57 PM.

There is a company Baca Valley Telephone company from Des Moines NM that has a Wildblue satellite internet system and they have been talking to a couple friends in the Gulnare / Aguilar area to gain customers. I don't know much about them but WildBlue is a high-speed Internet access service by satellite. And you can see their website at http://www.bacavalley.com/. My friends were looking at it since dial up is so difficult and slow but they have not decided. It might be too costly. But if anyone knows of them and has an opinion I would love to read it.

I just took a look at bacavalley solutions. Not all that attractive. Any time you see "up to" a speed rating such as they list, it usually means that they are referring to burst speeds. So in the $49 package they say up to 512 download speeds - that means its possible to get a burst of 512 download but its not a consistent speed. Its difficult to put this in laymans terms but lets put it this way: $49 a month for that speed is not a good deal. I don't know of a single satelite ISP that can compete with a land based or even wireless data network connection. At my remote site where I don't have access to a land based line for DSL, I use Verizon's CDMA AirPrime card - but again its going to have a dependancy on the strength of the Verizon signal in your area. I get a slow but tolerable 500-700 KB connection but its enough to access email and get my job done. That connection is $59 per month - still much more expensive than a DSL line with much higher speed. Once Verizon upgrades all of there towers, you will be able to get up to 2.2MBit burst speeds. But I wouldn't wait for that to happen - it could be many years to come as they are focusing on metropolitan areas first. ISP's tend to go where the bulk of the business is: its a numbers game.

One more thing I forgot to add; the key reason I use Verizon AirPrime is that I travel a lot and it works where ever I can get a Verizon signal. It's a PCMCIA card that slips into my laptop - I also have a 3 watt booster for it just in case I get a marginal signal. Cellular technology signals are based on -db strength; anything higher than about -100 you will loose connection. -75 or lower is ideal. I do have a decoder for most cell phones to give you an accurate db reading; the little bars that show up on your phones LCD screen are a relative reading, not a true indicator of signal strength. You need to access your phones hidden field service test mode to get the accurate reading.

You might also try Amigo-http://www.amigo.net/cms/

something else to keep in mind, if you play online games you probably don't want satelite, as it has very high pings, and you get aLot of lag. This is the main reason we are moving to Trinidad from aguilar, this whole dial up deal is driving me nuts.LOL. we came here from Memphis, and we had cable there through "time warner" so dial up seems like its a turtle compared.
    Cas

Call Qwest
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-09-2010 at 01:56 PM.