Adobe Gold Properties
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vallejos and Deaguero Families

Vallejos and Deaguero Families

With all of the information out on the Bird Flu and how closely it resembles the influenza pandemic of 1918-1919, I thought this would be a good time to share this article on the Trinidad Website for historical purposes.

My name is Esther Deaguero Welp. I am the daughter of Jose Anastacio Deaguero who was born in Tercio, Colorado. My father (age 9) and his eldest brother, Jose Ignacio (Mucio, age 16) and his sisters Isidora (Dora, age 14), Siveria (Sylvia, age 13) and Maria de La Luz (Lucy, age 11) were orphaned in the 1918 influenza pandemic.

Jose Ignacio (Mucio) Deaguero married Maria de los Reyes Gonzalez, Isadora (Dora) Deaguero married Manuel Becker, Maria de la Luz Deaguero (Lucy) married (1) Jose Salvador Vigil (2) Clifford Gregory, Siveria (Sylvia) married Onesimo Vigil and my father married Catherine Kimball of Trinidad, Colorado.

My father often talked about that terrible time and the illness they called "una pestelencia" that took his beloved mother, Domicinda Vellejos Deaguero (died November 28, 1918), his grandmother Rumulda Aragon de Vallejos (died December 5, 1918), and his Aunt and godmother Francisquita Vallejos de Torres (died December 12, 1918 from a reaction to the flu medicine) and his grandfather Luis Ma. Vallejos who did not die of the flu, but from some unrelated illness on December 23, 1918. Dad said people who lived in the valley were so ill from the flu that they were unable to attend the funerals of their loved ones, and graves were being dug through the night.

We were a military family, and in 1977 my husband Frank and I and our three children, John (9), Cathy (5) and Joey (4) were leaving the United States for Germany. Before spending time with my parents in Albuquerque, we stopped in Denver and we visited with my great aunt Eutimia Vallejos de Duran and uncle Zack Duran. I was curious about my paternal grandparents and wanted information. My aunt left the room and came back with a very, very yellowed newspaper clipping. Handing the clipping to me she said, "I knew someday someone was going to ask about this." We had a pleasant visit and while there I failed to note how quiet and wide-eyed my children were. When we said our goodbyes and drove off, my children were looking out the back window at my aunt and uncle waving until they could not see them any more. My surprise came a few seconds later when my children who were normally quite noisy sat very quietly and all of a sudden all three said, "How come they have cracks in their faces?" It never occurred to me that they had never seen elderly people before. Unknowingly, we all had a lesson in life.

I am attaching two articles and photographs that appeared in the Chronicle News (writing on the back indicates it is from the Chronicle News). I still do not have much information on my grandfather Jose Deaguero, only that a census taker indicated that my grandpa was learning English and that he helped put telephone wires up. My father told me his dad died of dropsy in 1912 at the age of 29 years and that his eyes were as blue as the sky.

* There are different spellings of my grandmother's name, however in the marriage certificate in the records of Holy Trinity Church in Trinidad my grandparents' names read as follows: Domicinda Vallejos and Josephum Deaguero, 21 Jan 1901.

Esther Deaguero Welp
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Esther, thank you for sharing the articles and I enjoyed looking at the pictures. I don't know if you have the following but it won't hurt to post.

Jose De Aguero married Maria Gomacinda Vallejos
    Son of Juan Bautista De Aguero Sr. born 1854 and Salome Gomez born 1855.
    Juan Bautisa De Aguero son of Juan De Jesus De Aguero and Guadalupe Gomez.
    Source: AWT - Jacqueline Buresh File
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LDS Household Record 1880 US Census - Precinct 2, Las Animas, CO.
    Juan De Aguero 31 yrs| born NM| parents born NM
    Salome De Aguero Wife| 23 yrs| born NM| parents born NM
    Pabla De Aguero Dau| 8 yrs| born CO
    Jose De Aguero Son| 4 yrs| born CO.
    LDS IGI Individual Record
    Juan De Aguero born 1854 of Cebolla, Mora, New Mexico married 15 FEB 1873; Walsenburg, Huerfano, CO.; to Salome Gomes born 1855; of Arroyoseco, Taos, NM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NEXT DOOR:
    Antonio De Aguer 36 yrs| Farmer| born NM| parents born NM
    Vidal De Aguer Wife| 30 yrs| born NM| parents born NM
    Roman De Aguer Son| 15 yrs|born NM|
    Donaciano De Aguer Son| 10 yrs| born CO
    Juan De Aguer Son| 2 yrs| born CO
    Next Door:
    Juan Jose De Aguera 60 yrs| Farmer| born NM| parents born NM
    Guadalupe De Aguera Wife| 52 yrs| born NM| parents born NM
    Pedro De Aguera Son| 20 yrs|Laborer| parents born NM
    Felicitas De Aguera Dau| 12 yrs| born CO
    Vicenta De Aguera Dau| 10 yrs| born CO
    Reyes De Aguera Son| 8 yrs| born CO.
    ADDED INFO:
    LDS - Family Group Record New Mexico
    Juan Jesus de Aguero born 1825; Rio Arriba, NM
    Guadalupe Gomez born 1830; Rio Arriba, NM
    Children:
    1) Lenor de Aguero born 1847; Rio Arriba, NM
    2) Virginia de Augero born 1851; Rio Arriba, NM
    3) Juan de Aguero born 1854; Mora, NM
    4) Pedro de Aguero born 1857; Mora, NM
    NOTE: Another record indicated that Juan Jose and Guadalupe were from Tierra Azul, Rio Arriba, NM.
    Source: http://www.familysearch.org/
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Dodie: Thank you very much for the information on my grandfather, Jose Deaguero's family. For many years I have wondered if my Grandfather had another name since most boys were named Jose. We have no idea where he is buried but we know he was born in Stonewall.

I failed to mention that approximately nine months prior to my grandmother's death her youngest son, Jose Eugredo DeAguero, age approximately 4 died from pnemonia. My dad and his sisters went to fetch water from the stream and Eugredo fell into the water.
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Maria Gomencinda Vallejos born 9/21/1881 El Valle CO. died 11/28/1818 married 1/1/1901 CO. to Jose de Aguero. She was the daughter of Luis Maria de Jesus Vallejos (bt. 9/20/1849 Rio Arriba died circa 12/25/1918 Torres CO. he married 9/28/1870 Trinidad to Maria Rumalda Aragon born 2/24/1856 Los Cordovas. She died 12/4/1918 Trinidad daughter of Francisco Jose Aragon and Maria dela Luz Martin. Gomencinda's siblings were: Mariano, Refugio Enriquez, Juan Andres, Marina, Jose Inocencio, Maria Gertrudes, Jose Eliseo ( I have more on his family), Maria Eufemia, Miguel Antonio, Francisca, Ygnacia, Eutimia.
    Luis Maria de Jesus Vallejos was the son of Miguel Antonio Vallejos and Maria Gertrudes Chavez, dau/of Blas Chavez and Dolores Martin.
    Miguel Antonio Vallejos is the s/o Juan Bautista Vallejos and Maria Gertrudes Martin.
    Juan Bautista is the s/o Luis Joaquin Vallejos and Maria Manuela Aragon.
    Luis Joaquin is the s/o Bernardo Vallejos and Francica de Silva (d/o Antonio Silva and Gregoria Ruiz, my ancestors, Pat).
    Bernardo Vallejos born abt 1707 NM s/o Pedro Duran y Chavez and a Vallejos woman page 303 of Origins of NM Families by Fray Angelico Chaves. (Most of the above information was from Nuestra Raices journal of the Genealogy Society of Hispanic America pages 138-153, V2 #4 Oct. 1990 Salazar and Torres)..............
    .........Pat from Denver........................
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Esther, according to Jacqueline Buresh family tree on the Vallejos and De Aguero family. She shows that your grandfather was buried in Trinchera. My grandmother's sister married into the De Aguero family but I could not make a connection.

Dodie: Thanks again for the informaton on where my grandfather Jose Deaguero is buried. I plan to be in Trinidad in May and will go to the cemetary and try to locate his grave.

If the Deaguero's are from Trinidad, Mora, Walsenburg, Trinchera and surrounding communities including Denver I would be surprised if the families were not connected.

I absolutely love this website!

Esther Deaguero Welp

Hi Esther, My mother was a Deaguero, her name was Benerita Deaguero, she went by Betty, her father was Benito Deaguero and was married to Deluvina Gonzales, and his father was Leonor Deaguero.
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Greetings Admin: I just read the posting for the latest Vallejos/Deaguero families. What is the possibility of connecting both postings together. (Vallejos/Deaguero families and Vallejos and Deaguero families.) I apologize for my error. Esther Deaguero Welp

Esther, I will be sending your request to Charlie. I can only think of do doing a copy/paste, leaving a forwarding link to the postings on this subject. Will temporary try it and let me know what you think.

Author Topic
    [email protected]
    Over "10" Posts Member
    USA
    11 Posts
    Posted - 03/15/2006 : 9:42:30 PM
    JCoronado: Where is your family from? I know I have lots of relatives in the Denver area from both families? Esther Deaguero Welp

JCoronado56
    Starting Member
    USA
    2 Posts
    Posted - 03/16/2006 : 08:27:22 AM
    Both of my parents are from Walsenburg. My father was Tony Coronado. His father was Apolonio Coronado.They lived next door to each other. My Grandmother Deluvina died real young, shortly after my uncle Tom was born, so he went to an orphanage for a while, Then he was adopted by Simon & Elautaria Gonzales, and my mother 3 yrs old at the time was passed from aunt to aunt. When I was younger. The only Deaguero's I knew of was my Uncle Tom Deaguero and my Grandpa Benito and a John Deaguero who lived here in the Thornton.

duranlawcom
    Starting Member
    1 Posts
    Posted - 05/02/2006 : 10:12:43 PM
    My maternal grandmother was named Selestina Deaguero and was from Trinidad, she married Eduardo Duran and she died in the influenza pandemic of 1918 in Fountain, CO. Her children were Macedonia, Mary Jane, Mercedesw, Cornelio and Timothy ( my father) have you any information on her family

[email protected]
    Over "10" Posts Member
    USA
    11 Posts
    Posted - 05/04/2006 : 08:48:22 AM
    Greetings: Thank you for replying to our posting and I will get back with you regarding your request soon. Esther Deaguero Welp
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 05:22 PM.