Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you graduate from THS in the 70's?

Al, critters do mostly croak in wintertime up here but not so fast for them SPIDERS ! Have you ever heard of the "Violinback" also known as the "Brown Recluse" spider ? Although they are uncommon in Denver there have been known cases of severe spider bites. I had a lady who worked for me at MCI who's daughter was bitten by one, hiding in her shoe. Her foot swelled to the size of a football and when the venom took its course she nearly lost her foot to amputation, but for some powerful drugs used to counteract the bite. Check out this article:

"The bite of the brown recluse spider can result in a painful, deep wound that takes a long time to heal. Fatalities are extremely rare, but bites are most dangerous to young children, elderly, and those in poor physical condition. When there is a severe reaction to the bite, the site can erupt into a "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue). The open wound may range from the size of an adult's thumbnail to the span of a hand. The dead tissue gradually sloughs away, exposing underlying tissues. The sunken, ulcerating sore may heal slowly up to 6 to 8 weeks. Full recovery may take several months and scarring may remain".

That's Nasty !

Wayne, the Brown Recluse is common around here it is related to other spiders like the black widow. I have had them in the house and car. Valfonso's brother was visiting and parked under a mesquite tree of mine. I warned him not to leave his window down but he forgot. We went out to dinner that night and he was driving. I looked up and there was a brown recluse on the ceiling above his head. I tried as calmly has I could to tell him but when is daughter bolted from the seat it was to late. We pulled over and luckily he didn't get bitten. Yes very nasty flesh eating venom.

Speaking of spiders, check out this article from CSU about "Spiders In The Home" in Colorado:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05512.html

Wayne I gotz some spider stories dude, but I will save them for fishun or over a Stout or two, not for this forum.

ARACHNOPHOBIA!

I remember that evening well. I couldn't even get my seatbelt undone and Kristen had jumped over me and out of the car. It is a good thing we saw that sucker. I'm sure glad I didn't have to travel back to Trinidad in that infested car. Turns out they had to bomb their car to get all of the spiders out.

That's what happens when those snow birds from Trinidad when they come to the desert.

Give me snow, snow and cold to kill those babies off!

One benefit of the cold climate indeed.

It is snowing here so guess the spiders will have to look for another place to live. We had the grand-daddy long legs when I grew up at Grandma's in Trinidad & I used to play with those:)
    Char