Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Hey I don't feel Spanked, I just see a lot of people out there with passion and concern for their views. Debate is good and discussion is even better. It takes all kinds of people to make this country great. as the Good Book says We will always have the poor, not a direct quote. Thanks for the interesting banter. I still and will always love Trinidad.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-08-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Sandman, Very nicely put...thank you for your statements...Without the ability to discuss the issues and have difference it would get pretty mundane and sad in our country.

[8D] Right On Sandman ! You are a gentleman and a scholar. I'm glad to see you understand why people feel how they feel. I hope you didn't take anything personal; you are definitely a good sport. I was having a little bit o' fun about the spanking comment, it apearing that you were getting ganged up on by all of us liberals ! Your opinion about politics may be different than mine but I would fight for your right to express your personal opinion as an American any day. Cheers to your success and happiness brother !

Interesting topic. Personally, having been around a long time and having worked in the oil business for over 20 years before changing careers, I believe that we have no one to blame for high fuel costs except ourselves and our waste of fossil fuels. I remember a time when my parents made one trip to the grocery store each week and my grandparents made the same trip once a month. Point being that our life styles have changed and the name of the game is convienence, instead of conservation. It truly is supply and demand influenced by market speculation on production capabilities, known world reserves, foreign relations, etc.

Count the cars you see on the road with a single occupant. Count how many times we go to the grocery store in a single day. Food for thought...

If everyone (which will never happen in the absence of some forced mechanism to influence behaviour) cut their fuel consumption by 5% we'd see gas prices fall substantially due to an oversupply in the market.

I'm not a victim, I am a contributor to the problem and I can do something about that by taking accountability for my actions and helping solve the problem. Blaming oil companies and the government won't solve the problem; our actions as consumers will.

In the eyes of much of the world, the USA is the Exxon of the global economy. The one on top is always the enemy and biggest target for all to blame if you want to play the victim game.

Here's another suggestion to hedge the situation: buy energy stocks as a long term investment. If you can't beat them at the pumps, you can share in the profits on Wall Street. The big ones pay nice dividends on top of the rise in stock value.

By the way, if you haven't figured it out by now, I am aligned with Sandmand's views. Spank me too! :D

If you have any interest in the topic of Hubbert's Theory (Peak Oil), here's a good read with many perspectives:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil#Peak_prediction

$3.00 a gallon is nothing! We will see significant price increase way above that in our lifetime. Mark my word.

Thank you DoubleBarrel, I too worked in the oil industry and know the costs of exploration, drilling and marketing oil. to me there is no other business that contributes more to the community than the Oil Companies. To mention a few, Relay for Life, Can Food Drives, National Disasters, Science Fairs, Taxes, Permit Fees, High School and College internships etc, etc, etc. When has the government come to the aid of the oil companies. They just impede their efforts by limiting exploration and development. Be ready for some flack.

How convenient it would be if one could simply silence opinions of those with whom they don't agree by proclaiming we are all to "blame" for our patterns of fuel consumption and high demand for mobility. I agree that most consumers take for granted, by sake of convenience, the easy access to the the very commodity monopolized by only a few oil companies. The original point of this discussion was a factual recitation of profits made recently by the oil companies. In fact, I believe the source was noneother than Fox News, which is ironic and interesting in itself, understanding that Rupert Murdoch who owns Fox isn't known for his support of "liberal ideals and beliefs". The article was a factual and apparently astounding revelation of profits even seemingly remarkable for Fox News. The point I believe MOST of us were trying to make is one of accountability for these kinds of profits. With all due respect, please explain to all of us ignorant Americans, Mr. Double Barrel, why government should not be working with the oil companies to develop alternative fuel sources, incentives for carpooling, tax breaks for consumers whos livlihood is dependednt on fossil fules, better public transportation, allowing outershelf oil exploration and [u]whatever</u> it takes to get us weened off this foreign oil dependence. Taking pot shots at "bleeding heart liberals" and allegedly freebee socialized programs supported by Democrats certainly isn't the answer ! Our politicians need to be held accounatble for allowing what appears to be price gouging, pure and simple. I disagree that supply and demand are the primary factors for huge oil profits. Give me a beak ! When the politics of WAR get thrown into the mix, especially in the Middle-East where most of the world oil supply comes from, political accountability is important. That doesn't mean however that we shouldn't take some responsibility and accountability of our own as consumers. I totaly agree here. We seem to have a piggish appetite for fuel, especially out west where travel is more convenient by automobile. However, in order to find a true solution to high gas prices and seemingly unfair oil company profits, we need to develop more and better alternative fuel sources. [u]This isn't Republican or Democrat blame game time</u>, it's time for consumer AND oil company accountability. We have been debating this issue for decades ! :)
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-08-2010 at 10:31 PM.

First and foremost I don't appreciate your insinuation that I am calling Americans ignorant. What I was saying was that the easy way out is to blame someone else. It's a global practice not exclusive to Americans.

It's your choice. I'll leave it at that. If blaming the government and big oils for everything makes you feel good, then go for it. I'm not going to change your mind.

Alternative energy? Yeah, you bet. When we are forced to seek it due to high cost fossil fuels maybe. Necessity is the mother of invention. By the way, know how much energy it takes to produce a solar panel? You would be surprised and that energy comes from guess what? Oil!

When (not if, but when) we do reach peak oil, the demand will increase to develop renewable energy sources and the problem will compound.

Do you really think that blaming the oils and government will solve the problem? Good luck with that. Or as Dr. Phil would say "how's that working out for you?"

I wrote in plain English sir. I didn't insinuate anything. If you go back and read what I said, I asked you "with all due respect" since you seem very educated on the subjet matter, to educate those of us "ignorant" Americans who do not know the oil industry challenges and processes to explain why huge oil profits isn't price gouging. I didn't say you called anyone ignorant or anything else. I used those words, albeit sarcastically, to try to understand what we don't know, which somehow could possibly explain why oil companies should be allowed to reap such windfalls in the midst of some of the worst financial hardship we have had in our nation's history. I did not personally attack you so take it easy. In fact, I must admit that I learned a few things I didn't know about the oil issue including your estimation that an across the board decrease of 5% in consumption could be the predicate for a decrease in prices at the pump. That is why I spent so much of my time asking WHY the Federal Goverment doesn't appear to be working with the oil companies for alternative solutions. So, do we just give up because it's expensive to produce solar panels and it takes oil to make them as well ? I'm not an armchair quarterback who "whines" about what I don't like. I walk and bike to work everyday. I taxi my family around because I too get disgusted seeing 9 out of 10 cars with only 1 person it it. My anger is directed at those who are in a position to do something more about this i.e. elected officials, so why do you insult me by suggesting that I somehow expect to "solve this" by blaming the government and oil companies. It's my American First Amendment right to express my opinion AND challenge my government to justify its actions. I have standing as a taxpayer and an American Citizen to express my views even if it troubles you that my opinion appears to you that all I can do is "blame" someone else. I guess what I'm looking for is justification from the Oil Industry why we are kept in a state of economic gridlock with no alternatives. I believe it is time to vote and change the make-up of our leadership. It doesn't make me [u]feel good</u> to "blame" the government or big oil or anyone else. So don't go assuming that's all I know how to do is whine and bitch about this. I vote, I will be voting how about you ?

wgutie77, very nicely said.

DoubleBarrel I quote: It truly is supply and demand influenced by market speculation on production capabilities, known world reserves, foreign relations, etc.

Have you ever heard of OIL CARTEL? The cartel has made a huge effort since 911 to go out to other world producers to limit the supply of oil so prices would go up and guess what it is working very nicely. Now is this what you call true market forces and supply and demand?

I qoute from your previous posting : I believe that we have no one to blame for high fuel costs except ourselves and our waste of fossil fuels.

Bunk, As I recall we have been here before. During the Carter administration when fuel prices shot sky high he put a few things into place like tax credits for research into alternative fuels and caps on fuel consumption of automobiles. Well guess what I believe it was Ronald Reagan and George Bush Senior that all but eliminated the tax insentives for alternative energy research and rolled back or in some cases reduced the cap on mileage for automobiles that President Carter put in place. In fact they put a incentive to buy large gas guzzling cars like the Hummer. Lexus added a heavy bumber to their large SUV so that it would qualify for this tax credit. As consumers we have been faced with buying a large vechicle or risking our lives driving a small car with all these huge dual wheel trucks and SUVs sharing the roadway. I don't know how many times I have heard people say that the reason they bought the large SUV was because they wanted safety for thier family. The government could and should help wein ourselves off of foreign oil. They could again put a cap on gas guzzling cars or a surcharge if you decide to buy one instead of an incentive. They could fund alternative engery research in many ways by tax credits or low intrest loans. They could give businesses an tax credit for allowing people that could work from home to work from home, car pool, comapny vans, etc, etc, etc. And they could stop giving oil companies tax incentives and tax breaks especially with all the huge profits they are making and the ridiculous salarys that oil execs are taking. DoubleBarrel I will assume some of the blame but in now way will I assume all of the blame for this mess.

Quoting Dr. Phil you should be ashamed of yourself:)
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-08-2010 at 10:30 PM.

I'm in Seattle sitting at conference table with a gentleman from Holland where gas is $10 gallon. He's reading over my shoulder laughing at the reponses. Thanks for the entertainment. He thinks Americans are nuts. This is better than the Leno show. You are both right; its all a conspiracy to dig every dime from your pockets - from my Holland client.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-08-2010 at 10:21 PM.