Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Opinions on Schools

Looking for Opinions on Schools

Good morning and hello. :)

New to the forums, and relocating to Trinidad soon. I have browsed these forums for awhile, have had some good chuckles, got some idea of the people and am looking forward to being in Trinidad.

I wonder if anyone could tell me what you think of the schools there. I understand the Hoehne district is preferred, but what about the other (Fishers Peak I believe ?). I've looked at some of the test scores on the internet, but they don't tell the whole story. Any thoughts?

:)
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-07-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Wish I could help, I am from Pueblo and have/had by kids in a Catholic school. When I could not get my daughter into a charter school when she reached middle school I considered sending her to Weston with my brother so she could attend Holy Trinity Academy. I prefer smaller classes and strict policies.

Hi, there - welcome to Trinidad. I can add a little to this subject, but with a few caveats. I taught at the college here for five years, but being that it was a local college, I can't say that I was getting a true cross section of the students here. Also, when I taught, superintendents and administrations have since changed in both the Hoehne and Trinidad school districts and things may be different now.

That being said, I would have to see that almost without exception the best students I have ever had were out of Hoehne. In those five years, I only had one mediocre student from Hoehne. Everyone else from there was exceptional - two wound up being class valedictorians at TSJC. A home in the Hoehne school district tends to have that much more going for it. Keep in mind Hoehne School is just that - one school.

That is not to discount Trinidad's schools either. I did get some very good students from this school district as well. However, they were less consistently good and some weren't that good. But, being a bigger school district, this variation was bound to happen. I had some students who were missing some basic skills but seemed better socially adjusted that those from the small rural schools. With it being bigger, you do have larger class sizes but also more opportunities for extracurricular activities.

There is also the Primero School District and Aguilar. I have only had a few students from each of these districts, and I've had a couple of pretty good ones from each. Like Hoehne, they are very small. Be prepared for your kids to have very small classes - it's a tough environment for a new kid to come into, particularly from a city or a larger school.

There are pros and cons to each school. I can't help you much with the elementary side of things, more with the overall reputation of each district.

Thanks for replying! :D

Ophelia, your info is very very helpful. It gives me a lot of what I feel I need to know. And thanks for the welcome. I can't wait to actually get there.
    ;)

LC Welcome. I am Pete or Petey or USMorlans or the Moderator or the Key Man or whatever else they call me...Nice work from Ophelia...I also teach at TSJC from time and stay very active in the community. The schools are solid for small town America. There is massive room for improvement of course. If you read the posts of those of us that are a product of School District #1 which is Trinidad you can see what it kicks out...lawyers, doctors, politicians and on and on. Come with confidence that your kids will have a cool place to learn. Then keep them here and send them to TSJC. They will learn in classrooms with SKILLED professional people and maybe 12 or so kids. Some of the best education in the Community College system bar none.
    Welcome and feel free to email me if you have more questions about town or need help.

Is TSJC now on semester hours instead of the quarter hours? That really screwed me up when I tried transfering credits to a University.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-07-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks Usmorlans (oh person of many titles). :) I feel much better now. And you know, I may take you up on the offer of info. I know nothing about Trinidad. In fact, and this is a bit crazy, I have never been there. Everything I have is from the internet. Thank God for this site...hehe. My mother actually looked at the homes for me and picked out the one "I wanted to buy". So when I get there in October it will be a really fun experience. My mom is great, she is moving there also. Buying up an old B&B and fixing it up. Kind of a life long dream of hers. We are both very excited and if everyone is as nice, funny and all around cool as you folks on this site, I know it will be an awesome place to live. :)

You are most welcome LC. You will be fine here. It is a very nice place to live...I highly recommend it for everyone...watch the forum and you will see that the LOST CHILDREN of TrinAdad will all come home...it is like a magnet!

Lastchild, I wish you luck.

Things have really grown lately for the Schools in TrinAdad with a lot of new blood from the top down...those of us coming back have made changes from the way things were way back when. Still have some ways to go and could use some more fresh leadership and blood to continue the good things and change.