Camping Cabins

Thread: Zip Files

Zip Files

Can you tell me exactly what a zip file is. Do you have to have something special on your computer to open them? My daughter sent me some pictures and the files end with .zip and I can't open them. She sent some others that are .jpeg and I have no problem with them at all. Thanks.

Linda

P.S. I subscribe to online Trinidad Chronicle News and there is a place on there that you can download the whole paper as a zip file. What does that mean
    Last edited by Usmorlans.com; 02-26-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spam deleted

The ZIP file format is a popular data compression and archival format. A ZIP file contains one or more files that have been compressed or stored.

You need to purchase software to unzip those files. I have SystemSuite Software which has tools for most situations. It’s not that expensive and worth the cost

Linda and Buddy thanks. In more simple terms a Zip file is usually a group of or just a large file that is COMPRESSED or ZIPPED down to make transport of the file simpler. In todays world of High Speed Data there is little need for zipping but for a dial up user it is essential for large files. Ok now to answer the question of what you need for it...If you have Windows XP you have what you need as that product provides a tool for that. If you don't then there are a plethera of FREE tools for the common user. Most home users have little need for the bells and whistles of a fully integrated system. Let me know what version of Windows you have and I can guide you better through it.

Pete....I have Windows XP for home. Thanks.

Linda

Linda all you need to do is download the file and then double click on it to open it...XP will guide you through unzipping or decompressing the file or files and then you will be able to see the photos. If you get stuck email me.