Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location of Gray Creek Cemetery

Location of Gray Creek Cemetery

Does anyone know exactly where the Gray Creek Cemetery is located? My great grandmother, Tomacita (Rivera) who was married to Francisco Gurule was buried there in 1935. I think it is somewhere near the former location of the Gray Creek coal mine in the vicinity of Frijole Hill, but that would now be on private property. I was told the cemetery is somewhere on or next to land formerly owned by the late Pete Sandoval, whose son, Carlos, may still own all or part of the land. The land may have been sold to the late Dr. Stanley Biber. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-28-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Follow up question. Does anyone know if the Gray Creek Cemetery and the San Miguel Cemetery can be one and the same?

Bernadette

In the book Las Animas County Ghost Towns and Mining Camps, by F. Dean Sneed, there are some hand drawn maps, however the Gray Creek map does not indicate the presence of a cemetery.

I did some searching with the online topography maps and found three cemeteries in the Gray Creek area.

The first is close to the Purgatorie River, and is the Valdez Cemetery.
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...ad27&layer=DRG

The second further up Gray Creek I found the Codova Cemetery.

To the west of Cordova Cemetery I found an un-named cemetery.

I searched a fairly large area around Frijole Hill on the topo map but could not find any cemetery.

Sorry, but I do not know if the Gray Creek area is, or was, owned by Dr. Biber.

As to San Miguel Cemetery and the Gray Creek Cemetery being "one and the same" I would say, "no".

I found San Miguel on the below link and it is much higher and closer to Fishers Peak in Capulin Arroyo on San Miguel Creek. There is an un-named cemetery here.
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lon=...95&lat=37.0994

That's all I could find, but there may be others that I missed.

I hope this helps.

Maybe Dodie can provide additional information.

Could this be the Nola Cemetery ?

Alice, The Nola Cemetery can be found 1/2 mile north of the railroad tracks, south of Nola Butte, just west of Trinchera.

Here's a link to a topographical map.

Thanks for the feedback. When I was a kid, my father and I helped a local rancher named Pete Sandoval who had a son named Carlos Sandoval. From time to time we would tend cows on horseback and on one of those occasions, I recall Mr. Sandoval and my father mentioning there was a cemetery in the area. The area we happened to be in was a canyon behind Fisher's Peak and along the San Miguel creek. From maps, that appears to be the same area where Gray Creek mine was located. I was hoping that someone who owns property in the area might be able to provide information about the possible location of any abandoned cemetery(ies).

My great grandmother was buried there along with a number of other relatives who lived in the area until about 1930.

I have a topo program (Delorme) that has identified 12 cemeteries around Trinidad by coordinates. I do not know if I can post a word document. Can someone advise me? If not, send me an email and I will provide the attachment.

Ed
    FYI: My mother (Domenica Teresa Battu) was born in Engleville, Colorado on 18 May 1909 to Valentino Battu and Maria Dalmazzo

Dear Battu, I sent you an email with my home email address so that you can send me the coordinates. I would love having them as I suspect they will be needed to locate the long disused grave yard. I intend to buy a GPS unit, if necessary.

Thanks so much for helping. What I get from you I will be sure to share with the History Room at the Trinidad library, and with the very kind people who are trying to help me find my great grandmothers final resting place.

quote:Originally posted by Battu

I have a topo program (Delorme) that has identified 12 cemeteries around Trinidad by coordinates. I do not know if I can post a word document. Can someone advise me? If not, send me an email and I will provide the attachment.
    Battu, MS Word documents cannot be attached to a member's post.

Your information would be most welcome. I have also sent an email to you. Thank you for the information.

Bernadette,

A very reliable source has informed me that the San Miguel Cemetery is the name of the cemetery in the Gray Creek area.

And better news is that Mr. Sandoval has said that when you come to Trinidad just give him a call and he would be very happy to take you to the cemetery. His grandmother is also buried there.

But if, and when you do, please don't forget to pick me up, as I would also love to go with you.

Thanks for the most enjoyable lunch. What a "bummer" on Ken's fortune cookie. Ha Ha