Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information

Thread: The area photos of Trinidad bear and cabin

The area photos of Trinidad bear and cabin

Hi all, my mom told me a story about living in one of those cabins that we see in the pictures when she was a little girl of 6 years.

As the story goes, her mom and dad, older siblings were out working in the garden, she and her baby sister Mary Ann Lara were in the cabin and mom was supposed to be taking care of the baby. She was supposed to keep the door closed and because of the beauty of the day, she opened it up to let the sun in.

In the common area where the dinner table was, there was a gallon tin of honey sitting on the table. Mom and her little sister heard the growl of the bear, and he came in the only door, so they hid behind the old coal stove, scared to death.

The bear proceeded to work that can of honey until he managed to get it open and in the process of eating it and dragging it all around the area, got tired of his find and left the house.

The girls afraid to leave their safe place stayed hidden until their mom, Isabelle Dee (de Segura) who is mentioned other places in the genealogy forums, came home saw the mess and was extremely angry. She grabbed my mom, spanked her as was the way in those days, and set her to cleaning up all that honey by herself, and not go to bed until it was done.

She told me that story many times, and if you can imagine a 6 year old girl trying to clean up the plank floor and wherever else that honey was it must have been a horrible night for her.

Thanks for a place to put this story, thanks for the memories being here brings back and thanks for all the great work you all do here.
    Mary
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-09-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Thank you Mary for sharing the story with us and many thanks for your recent contribution in the Genealogy Forum. I imagine by now that you and June have connected.

Yes Dodie, we sure did, with an amazing rush of e-mails as well as pictures and phone numbers. When I was on this forum a few years ago I was not at all well, I had two open heart surgeries, so needless to say I found Trinidadco.com then I lost you all as my memory played some tricks on me.

I love reading all the requests, I remember so many names from here, and again this is a blessing for all who come here and find that lost connection.
    my very best,
    Mary