Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information

Thread: Catholic Orphanages in Colorado

Catholic Orphanages in Colorado

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a listing of the Catholic orphanages in Colorado? After the influenza epidemic of 1918/1919 my grandmother lost most of her family which was about 18 in all. Children, husband, and even the family dog. She was left with two grown sons, I may have this wrong, there may have been one more grown child, and two little girls.

Her children had a little over 20 year age difference between the oldest and youngest. After the expenses of burying nearly her whole family she was emotionally and financially ruined. She put her two youngest, daughters, into a Catholic orphanage until she could get on her feet again. This is where my memory faults me. I had a picture of my mother and her little sister, ages 4 and 6 in this orphanage. They all (all the girls) had their hair cut into little bobs, and huge ribbons on the back of their heads, there must have been 30 to 40 girls in the photo.

It was Saint Joseph's or Francis, something like that. Can anyone out there help me? I'm hoping that maybe those pictures survived somewhere and that through that I might be able to see it again.
    my best,
    Mary
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Hi Mary, Here in Denver there is Mount St. Vincent's. Here's the link:
    http://www.msvhome.org/about.html

You can also contact the "Archdiocese of Denver":
    http://www.archden.org/

I do have friends who came from the Trinidad area and went to Mount St. Vincents'. The phone number is at the bottom of the link....

Good luck,

Pat

Thanks Pat, you all are so wonderful here!!!
    my best,
    Mary

Re: Catholic Orphanages in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a listing of the Catholic orphanages in Colorado? After the influenza epidemic of 1918/1919 my grandmother lost most of her family which was about 18 in all. Children, husband, and even the family dog. She was left with two grown sons, I may have this wrong, there may have been one more grown child, and two little girls.

Her children had a little over 20 year age difference between the oldest and youngest. After the expenses of burying nearly her whole family she was emotionally and financially ruined. She put her two youngest, daughters, into a Catholic orphanage until she could get on her feet again. This is where my memory faults me. I had a picture of my mother and her little sister, ages 4 and 6 in this orphanage. They all (all the girls) had their hair cut into little bobs, and huge ribbons on the back of their heads, there must have been 30 to 40 girls in the photo.

It was Saint Joseph's or Francis, something like that. Can anyone out there help me? I'm hoping that maybe those pictures survived somewhere and that through that I might be able to see it again.
    my best,
    Mary

Re: Catholic Orphanages in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post

my best,
    Mary

Mary,

I am trying to research my grandmother who was sent to a Catholic orphanage with her older sister. Your story interested me because she and her sister were 4 and 6 when they went there about 1886 or 1887. I do not know the name of the orphanage. The names I have for them are Dottie Larsen (4 years) and Mable Larsen (6 years)My grandmother lost track of her sister and the family story is that Mable was adopted by a family in Trinidad CO. My grandmother died at the age of 102 having never found her sister.

I know this was posted severalyears ago but I hope you might check it again.

Thanks, Lynne