Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices in trinidad

I contacted Safeway Corporation and they are going to put in a fuel stop at the Trinidad store. They hope to break ground by July.

If you sign up for their Safeway Club card you can save 3 to 10 cents per gallon based on how much you spend in the store.

I stock up on sale items and spend usually about $100-150 a month. That gets me a 10 cent discount when you swipe your club card at the pumps.

I saw them build a station in Greeley and it took about one month to get operational.

Will make our weekly run to Walsenburg and let you know what the prices are there.

I've noticed that the prices have remained stable in Trinidad since we started posting. I hope Duran is paying attention because we're all paying attention.

Actually, prices stabilized in Trinidad, because the overall price in oil has declined over the last week. I speculate it will slowly begin to decline - as the opening of drilling will be a hot topic in the upcoming election - which will get OPEC worried and increase their output to keep America 'fixed' to their oil supply.

I recently wrote a newspaper article about my Memorial Day expereince, as its more than locals whom are stopping in Walsenburg for cheaper gas - Trinidad's tourism business is stopping there too!

Regardless, the issue will continue until competition returns to the Trinidad MArket, at which time I suspect a large volume of local citizens will devote their purchases away from Duran.

Duran's prices have nothing to due to saving local jobs, and everything to do with being a monopoly in the Trinidad gasoline industry. Our city and county is complicant by continuing to pruchase from him - instead of seeking outside venders -as required by colorado statute.

however, in the meanwhile, the ACORN gasoline pumps - just NORTH of Big R are open to the public, have cheaper gas, but limited operating hours.

I hope the word get out for these alternative locations, and we pray for the Safeway pumps as well - not only for our savings, but for the saving of our tourism economy too!

Well I notice the national gasoline average price has reach $4.00 and I see that Trinidad’s gas provider is consistent with $4.30. The good side, so far this is only 7.5% over the national average.

The national average of $4.00 is interesting but we need to pay closer attention to gas prices in OUR area. Walsenburg continues to be the cheapest and is only 40 miles north of Trinidad.

Pastor mentioned that the gas prices in Trinidad had jumped 20 cents overnight. I hope Duran makes their money now; some day they will stand before our Maker and answer.

Walsenburg prices for 85 octane as of Sunday 6/8:

Sinclair 3.99
    Loaf 'n Jug 3.69
    Phillips 66 3.69
    Western 3.66

This means that Walsenburg prices are 15% BELOW the national average.

I filled up (16 gallons) for $58.56. The same gas would have cost me $68.80 in Trinidad = $10.24 savings or approximately 2.38 gallons. That extra 2.38 gallons will get me 64 miles further (at 27 mpg) on one tank of gas so the extra mileage to Walsenburg is more than paid for.

I also noticed that Amato Bros Truck stop is $4.24 for 85 octane.

I refuse to buy gas in Trinidad. I should also mention that it was "parking room only" at all the pumps at the Phillips and Western. We had to wait in line!

Anyone with GPS navigation traveling I-25 can pull up local gas prices. I KNOW there can't be THAT many locals all fueling at the same time. Then once they're off the highway, they tend to go on into town and eat and shop. So Trinidad is definitely being hurt.

I don't know anything about City or County contracts for gas but if they ARE required to go out for bid, I suggest people start emailing and calling both entities about the situation.

The power of the People is truly awesome. And, that is YOUR tax dollars!

Does anyone know of any contacts in the oil franchise industries?

I would really like to diversify into a competing oil franchise in both Trinidad and Raton - but dont have a clue whom to contact regarding this possibility.

That is actually a very good idea. That's how farmer's co-ops got started. With all the trucking companies here in Trinidad, I expect a consortium of them would have the desire, and probably the funds, to undertake a Co-op Gas Station somewhere in Trinidad. There are certainly properties along I-25 available.

I'll look into who to contact and what is involved. If it has diesel, I bet several companies would look into it with interest.

I am so glad everyone seems to be getting involved! I will be making a trip to Colorado Springs tomorrow, I will be filling up in Walsenburg. I will let you guys know the prices I see from here to Colorado Springs. A good friend of mine drove to Mohave, CA on Saturday, said gas prices in NM were in the high $3.00 range, AZ was right around the high $3.00 range and topped out at the low $4.00 range and CA seems to be averaging around $4.17- still all lower than Trinidad! Also, thanks for the great breakdown, schilling34, very informative!

When I was down there on Friday, gas was $4.29 at the place on Main and Linden. Waited until I got home to Colorado Springs fill up at $3.86.
    What I don't understand is why they don't lower the speed limit again like they did in the late 70's to lower gas consumption. I am keeping the speedometer between 60 and 65 to get optimum mileage. I'm getting 38 miles to the gallon on a 16 year old Toyota. I get 42 if I am the only person in the car.

BTW-- I am one of the ones who is responsible. I have an IRA that is probably doing some of the speculative investing that is causing all this garbage. Still doesn't make me a happy motorist. I guess we can't have it all.

Okay, your best bet is a Franchise from one of the larger Truck Stop entities. They usually have national contracts with the larger carriers and their drivers HAVE to fuel with you. I would suggest you contact TA (Travel Centers of America)at this link:

http://www.tatravelcenters.com

They currently don't have anything in Southern Colorado. They DO have a lot of national contracts for trucking. Their Colorado locations are all up north. TA would be able to get you started with who to talk to, what it would take investment-wise. Franchises are a great way to go; they have all the expertise, you provide the financing.

I understand that McDonald is going to try and open a truck stop just north of Trinidad. But I've also heard that he's not expected to be any better with prices than Duran.

I would think a southern Trinidad location south of the current Shell truck stop across from Walmart would be a good location; or north of Trinidad before they hit the city limits. Maybe something next to the Super 8 Motel and Big R? A truck stop next to a motel is always a very good idea.

My hubby is a trucker. We'll get on to the appropriate online forums and message boards and let truckers know where to stop. But once again, with a franchise like the TA, the company drivers would already be told where to stop.

Another one to take a look at is the Flying J Truck Stops. They run out of Texas. They already have one in Limon and might possibly be interested in putting one in Trinidad. But to be honest the TA Travel Centers are the ONE BIG ONE to go with. They have the trucking contracts.

With all of the hazardous materials permitting and associated government stuff, you definitely want someone with the knowledge and clout behind them to help you through the process.

Talk to them, THEN approach Felix Chavez, Leone's, Tamburelli, MS Forest, G&C Trucking to name a few, regarding the possibility of a co-op. I'm sure they all use Duran and I'm sure they all might be interested in putting their $10,000 or more monthly fuel bills into their OWN pockets instead.

Best wishes and good luck to you!

Hi Everyone, well,, seems gas pricers in Colorado Springs are $3.89 at an average- I got gas there at Loaf and Jug by the Airport and then got gas in Walsenburg at Western on the way home, which was $3.66, but the clerk said it would be going up to $3.95 by the end of the day- on my way back to Colorado Springs right now- if I see any "great" deals, I will let you guys know!