Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information

Thread: Where in Trinidad to find Family History/Genealogy

Where in Trinidad to find Family History/Genealogy

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I am planning a trip to Trinidad the end of this month and would like to know the best places to research Family history from the late 1880's. Also where would be a nice place to stay for a few days that would be close to some of the sites. I know the Library and probably the Trinidad Museum can anyone name some other places.

Thank you
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Hi...it doesn't look like anyone has posted a reply to your request yet. I just came back from doing some research in Trinidad myself. The first place I went was to the Las Animas County Courthouse, which is right there in Trinidad. Be prepared to do some heavy lifting of record books. My husband had the great idea of bringing his small digital camera to take photos of the pages rather than trying to copy them. This turned out to be an absolute necessity!

The second place I went was the Carnegie library. They have a lot of the town's phone books, going pretty far back believe it or not. I was able to find quite a few family member residences that way.

I didn't have a lot of time on this trip, so that was as far as I got. Hopefully, some other forum members can provide you with some more tips.

I do recommend contacting the courthouse, and don't be afraid to ask the ladies what to do, they are very nice.

Good luck!!
    Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl, I appreciate your info....we did go to Trinidad and had a great time...we went to the Library, Museum, Court House and both of the cemetery's. Also went to Ludlow and Hastings...Found some good information...But nothing on my Great Grandfather....if I didn't know better I would say he didn't exist! Hard guy to find...
    Thank you again for repling!