Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beuchat Family

Beuchat Family

Frank Beuchat was born in Switzerland about 1840 and immigrated to the United States ending up in Wisconsin. He married Caroline Rebetz and they had at least 3 children, probably more, in Wisconsin. Charles born in 1861, Eugene born in 1862, and Sarah born about 1869. Sarah was married abt. age 16 in Wisconsin and shortly after the Beuchat family moved to Colorado leaving her and her husband to farm in Wisconsin.

It is my understanding that Frank Beuchat and family settled in Los Animas County around Trinidad & Fruitmere and perhaps another county starting with H (Huraford??). I feel sure that Frank and his wife died there and his children grew up married and probably died there. Am looking for any descendents that might know to get more information on them.
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 05:09 PM.

101 Trinidad Area Family Histories - Plested Family
    http://www.trinidadco.com/101Familie...es/plested.asp

"He became interested in the coal mining as early as 1905, and was associated with Charles Beuchat Sr. in acquiring controlling interest in the Bear Canyon Coal Company in 1925 which they built into a successful independent operation."

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
    Charles Beuchat
    Birth Date: 29 MAR 1862
    Birth Place: Ironton, Wisconsin
    Residence: Trinidad, Colorado
    Passport Issue Date: 25 OCT 1921
    Father Name: Frank Beuchat
    Father's Birth: Switzerland
    Father's Residence: Deceased
    Source: Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925 (M1490)

MORE INFO FROM APPLICATION
    States that father resided uninterruptedly in the U.S. from abt. 1850 to 1910 (unable to read the first 3 words but ends with Cripple Creek, Colo. Resides in Trinidad, Colo. Occupation: Supt. Coal Mines. Wishing Passport to Mexico for one month via National Lines leaving El Paso, Texas on Oct. 17, 1921.

Charles Beuchat Jr.:

Social Security Death Index
    Charles Beuchat
    Birth: 21 MAY 1890
    Death: APR 1972 - Trinidad, Las Animas, Colorado

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
    Charles E. Beuchat
    Residence: Pryor, Colo
    Birth: May 21, 1890; Cotopaxi, Colo.
    Occupation: Hoisting Engineer for Union Coal and Coke Co.; Pryor, Colo.
    Support: Wife - one child
    Married
    Tall; Med Build; Blue Eyes; Brown Hair
    Signed: 5 JUN 1917; Huerfano, Colo.

Cool Re: Beuchat Family

Quote Originally Posted by RollandRank View Post
    Frank Beuchat was born in Switzerland about 1840 and immigrated to the United States ending up in Wisconsin. He married Caroline Rebetz and they had at least 3 children, probably more, in Wisconsin. Charles born in 1861, Eugene born in 1862, and Sarah born about 1869. Sarah was married abt. age 16 in Wisconsin and shortly after the Beuchat family moved to Colorado leaving her and her husband to farm in Wisconsin.

It is my understanding that Frank Beuchat and family settled in Los Animas County around Trinidad & Fruitmere and perhaps another county starting with H (Huraford??). I feel sure that Frank and his wife died there and his children grew up married and probably died there. Am looking for any descendents that might know to get more information on them.

Cool Re: Beuchat Family

Quote Originally Posted by RollandRank View Post

I am a descendant of Frank Beuchat. He was my great, great grandfather. Are you also related?

Re: Beuchat Family

Here are some Colorado marriages for this surname in Colorado Counties:

Beuchat, Charles E. ~~ Haskinson, Mary U. 18 Oct 1914 Las Animas County Colorado License #1175
    Beuchat, Eugene ~~ Burns, Alice 22 Apr 1918 Fremont County Colorado License #4863
    Beuchat, Eugene S. ~~ Mathews, Mary Elizabeth 29 Aug 1931 Las Animas County Colorado #7768
    Beuchat, Evelyn K. ~~ Rogers, James O. 02 Feb 1903 Las Animas County Colorado License #19
    Beuchat, Leon J. ~~ Howard, Sadie G. 16 Feb 1891 Fremont County Colorado License #748
    Possible
    Beuchot, Marguerite ~~ Weidenkiff, Leo 30 Nov 1916 Las Animas County Colorado License #1927
    Beuchot, Sarah Mrs. ~~ Crosswhite, Henry C. 25 Oct 1899 Saguache County Colorado License #368

~Pat~

Could the other county you mentioned be "Huerfano"?

If so this county is directly north of Las Animas County.

~Pat~

Actually many of these folks are my relatives. Marguerite Beuchat was my grandmother and she was married to Leo Weidenkopf. I just started researching a little as I uncovered some family history that my grandmother Marguerite had relayed to my mom. I also have some cousins doing research.

Frank and Caloline's son Eugene Francis Beuchat was married twice. His first wife was Mary ? and they had no children. His second wife was Alice Burns. He lived in Canon City and worked with his brother Charles in the mine in Trinidad. Eugene Francis and Alice had two children, Eugene Philip and Marguerite Mary. My mother Marguerite is Frank's grand daughter. I am his great grand daughter.

I recently obtained a copy Dolores Plested’s 1987 book, Life and Death of A Coal Mine: And the story of one man's battle for its life.
    The book is paperback, 8” x 10.5”, 107 pages, and provides a historical view of the Bear Canon Coal Mine.

There are a couple of photos that show members of the Beuchat family;

One of Charles Beuchat Sr. with William Plested, and one of Charles Beuchat Jr. with his brother John Beuchat, along with William Plested, and Ralph Oss.

Other photos include:
    Various mine photos from Charles Beuchat Collection.
    (Note: There is no distinction of Sr. or Jr. in the Beuchat photo collections. The photos are just attributed to “Charles Beuchat”.)

Various mine photos from Livia Beuchat Collection.
    (Note: Livia, as I read, was Charles Beuchat Jr.’s second wife Livia Toller. His first wife was named May.)

Various photos from Karen Weidenkopf Collection.

Various (22 photos) ca. 1987-88 Bear Canon Mine area photos from the author’s collection.

Also, included are several photos from the Aultman Studios.

Passport Issue Date: 25 OCT 1921
    Both William Plested and Charles Beuchat Sr. may have had passports at that time. The book mentions Charles Beuchet Sr.’s partner William Plested traveled to Mexico City, Mexico in 1921 acting as agent for Bear Canon Coal Company trying to solicit coal sales to it’s northern railroads, the Ferrocarril Sud-Pacifico de México (Southern-Pacific of Mexico Railroad) and the Ferrocarriles Nacionales de México ( National Lines of Mexico).

It is presumed that both men probably had passports at the time.

+++++++++

It’s too bad that I wasn’t able to have access to this book before my visit to Bear Canon last year, as it would have provided valuable knowledge about the area that I consider unavailable anywhere else.

The book also re-enforced my feelings about getting out of the canyons, last July when the rain started, as I may have been forced to remain for awhile, or drive out via Bon Carbo due to flooding of the Road Canyon Rd. because the road actually fords the creek bed. The book tells of many flood-related heavy rains that continually washed out bridges in the area.

I hope this helps.

Also, if anyone has additional questions about the contents of the book, please ask, and I will be happy go back through it to try and answer them.

Al

Was there any mention of Eugene Beauchat in the book? My mother remembers her father commuting from Canon City to the mine to help his brother, Charles Sr. I have records from Canon City showing Eugene's occupation in 1923 as coal dealer, Pryor Co., but in 1925 it changes. The family story is that there was a blow up at the mine and at least one person was killed. That person was a good friend of his and he decided that he didn't want to continue in mining.