Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reference to Los Pios

Reference to Los Pios

Baptism records from the 1870's show folks living in "Los Pios" which I suspect was a plaza, ranch, or other location in Las Animas County. Does anyone know where "Los Pios" was located? Thank you.
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 04:58 PM.

colorado place names shows a los pinos

Thanks for the kind reply. I suspect, however, that the location was very near to Trinidad because so many kids from "Los Pios" were brought to Trinidad to be baptised.

I am wondering if anyone has heard talk about "los pios" being a large ranch, farm, or plaza within one day's distance (measured by 1870's standards of course) from Trinidad.

I have found a reference to a Pio Hill located at approximately the intersection of County Rd 24.6 and Conundrum Road (near the Old Prosser's dairy site, I think) Anyway, I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has heard of that name associated with Las Animas County. Thank you.

This was taken from the book, "Potshot Reviews of Southern Colorado's Ghost Towns" by Thomas Mariano, 1991, pg. 40.

"Pedro Herrera came to what was first known as Los Pios, about a mile south of the Indian village of Chililee.

Later, they built a school there, and it was called South Garcia, to educate the growing population of Italian truck gardeners along the banks of the River Purgatoire, and the Native Hispanics of the area.

That settlement was about one mile north of the old Garcia Cemetery, on the west side of the highway a short distance north of the present Trinidad Power Plant."

This might be what you were looking for.

Alice

Alice,
    Thank you so very much for your hard work on my question about Los Pios. I feel confident that the information you located is exactly what I was looking for.

The book you refer to sounds interesting, so I will try to locate and purchase a copy.

Mr. Vick Mariano lived close to the present day location of the Wagon Wheel bar/dance hall. Do you know if the book's author is his son?

Hopefully the A/C in the History Room is working again. It was too warm when you and I were last visiting in there!

Best Regards,
    Bernadette B

Alice, I got your email, and want to thank you again for your very kind help. I have located a copy of the book and have ordered it. Do you know if the library has a copy of the book titled: Western Tails of Southern Colorado by the same author?

Bernadette, Your welcome. Yes, the library does have the book that you mentioned, plus 4 other books written by Thomas Mariano. They are all located in the History Room.

You can get the titles of the other books by logging on to the library's web site.

Yes, we do have our A/C working again ! We also have a brand new computer in the History Room.

I found Tom Mariano's death date, so when I get back to the library and find his obit. hopefully it will tell us what his father's name was.

I'm glad that I was able to help you. Thanks once again to the early preservationists who saved all of this for us to enjoy and share.

Alice

Alice, you are a sweet heart! I really appreciate what you have done for me and all the other individuals you have helped with genealogy questions.

If I could possibly trouble you for one more favor---On your next visit to the library, and assuming you have a chance, can you check to see if there is an index or table of contents to the Mariano book titled Western Tales of Southern Colorado? I am curious about what topics he covers. I am particularly interested in anything about Aguilar, the KK Klan and the "Manos Negros" who allegedly caused lots of troubles in the Trinidad area.

In the book written by Louise Hanks titled, "What Made Trinidad-Trinidad", it talks about the KKK (with photos of their parade here in Trinidad) and the Mafia. You can buy this book from the Trinidad Historical Society by calling Mary Ellen at 719-846-3373.

Also, in the metal file cabinets in the History Room, there is a folder on the KKK. You might have already looked at it, but it doesn't hurt to tell you.

I will look in all of Mr. Mariano's books to see if there is anything on the topics you mentioned.

Alice

Gosh, I looked in the cabinets but didn't see the KKK file. Perhaps I was distracted by the heat---it got too warm after about 11:30 a.m

I am so glad to hear you now have A/C!!

I'll call and order the book. My mom has told me some stories about the "Black Hands" or "Manos Negros." I am curious what others have said or written about that topic.

Take care Alice, and many, many thanks.