Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need info on Antonio and Antonia (Rivera) Romero

Need info on Antonio and Antonia (Rivera) Romero

My grandmother told me that her great grandfather, Antonio Romero escaped from Spain during the Spanish Revolution with his two younger sisters. Their parents were murdered and Antonio left for the U.S with his sisters. I do not know their ages. He was 18. He went to Wyoming in 1847 where he left the sisters behind and were adopted. I don't know by whom. He was married in Vigil, CO to Antonia Rivera. He died in 1910. I don't know the names of any of his children by this marriage except one: Antonio Romero who married Deluvina Gomez. This is my beginning journey on researching my grandmothers maternal family. If anyone has heard of any of these family members of mine and has info, I would love it.
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 04:14 PM.

1880 census Las Animas County Colorado pages 21 and 22:
    Antonio Romero born about 1842 in New Mexico.
    His wife Deluvina Gomez 32 born in New Mexico, daughters Basilia 8, Aurora 4, sons Apolonio 2, and Delecio 2 months. They lived next to Deluvina's parents, Francisco Gomez 53 and Soledad Sanchez 40, Victoria 12, Leandro 10.
    In 1870 this Gomez family lived in Cucharas Huerfano County Colorado: Francisco Gomes 45, Soledad 40, Deluvina 22, Salome 15, Francisco 13 and Maria Victoria 3.
    1870 census of Costilla Colorado page 8 & 9 I find a Antonio Romero 23 (1847) born in New Mexico. He lives with Miguel Espinosa and his wife Genoveva. I don't know if he is yours.
    1860 census for Arroyo Seco Taos County New Mexico page 19 shows the Gomez family: Francisco Gomes 34, Maria Soledad Sanchez 40, Dilubina 8, Salome 5, Francisca 3. From here they left to Huerfano.
    I look in the Walsenburg marriages and do not find a marriage for Antonio and Delubina. I also do not find one in Trinidad. Nor is there one listed in the Colorado marriages.
    On the 1880 census it says their daughter Basilia was 8 (1872). I do not find her baptism in Trinidad. It is possible she was born in Huerfano County. If any one out there has the Walsenburg Baptisms maybe they could look for her.
    If this is your Antonio Romero then your great grandfather had to have been in New Mexico in the 1840's.
    I do not find a marriage for an Antonio Romero to a Antonia Rivera.

The state of Wyoming did not have a census until 1870. And there is no Antonio Romero there.

Good luck

~Pat~
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-16-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Thank you Pat!
    Everything correlates with information that I did have except the 1870 census information. I don't think that does. I now have more info than I had.
    Antonio Romero was indeed married to Deluvina Gomez, daughter of Andres and Soledad (Sanchez) Gomez. I have nine children listed but with your information I can get them in chronological order. I thought they were given to me in order but it looks like they are not. Children of that marriage were: Daudilio Romero, Apolonio Romero (married Carmen Sandoval 8/8/1897), Endelecio Romero, Baltazar Romero (married Virgilia Madrid) of Weston, CO, Francisco Romero, Vacilia Romero (married a Martinez) Aurora Romero, Salome Romero, Maxamiana Romero (never married).

I have been trying to build extended families of these great great aunts and uncles but haven't found anything but one obituary my mother had on a Maria Soledad Rico of Weston, CO. She was a daughter of Baltazar Romero. I am researching this line of my grandmother on her maternal side because I already have an extensive amount of info on my grandmother's father, Zacarias Vallejos. The Vallejos and Aragon's have been the focus of my work but I feel I need to learn more about my grandmother's mother, Salome Romero who married Zacarias. I am still thankful that I got a copy of their marriage license from this website. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Hi Charlene, Thanks for posting such a beautiful picture of Salome and Zacarias. I guess in order to complete the Romero's we have to concentrate on the marriage of Antonio Romero and Deluvina Gomez.
    I do know that they married after 1870 but before 1872.
    Since her family was in Cucharas Colorado in 1870 I am assuming they were married there. So I'll keep looking....

~Pat~

Pat, I was writing down the info you gave me and I noticed that in each census 1860, 1870, 1880, Soledad Sanchez was always age 40! Everyone else was showing change in age except her. I found that to be odd. I realize through this information you added that I know more about my great, great, great grandparents (the Gomez's) and their children than I knew before. I have a great aunt who was named Deluvina after her grandmother who is still living and I can ask her if she remembers any of the names you gave me. Maybe I can get more info. My Aunt Deluvina was 22 yrs. younger than my grandmother, Annie. That blue eyed beauty, Salome Romero-Vallejos, was having children for 23 yrs.! Those were tough women back in those days.

Yes Charlene this is correct: Soledad is always listed as 40. The one I questioned was the 1860 where she is older then Francisco .. So I know that her age is incorrect.
    I'll look into this later.

~Pat~
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-19-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Okay Charlene I found the following:

1/29/1849 Taos Marriages:
    Francisco Antonio Gomes single s/o Diego Gomes and Maria Antonia Lopes residents of Arroyo Hondo and native of Abiquiu with Maria Soledad Sanches single d/o Jose Antonio Sanches and Juana Soledad Lopes residents of the same place and natives of Taos.
    Sponsors, Juan Antonio Martines and Maris Antonia Gonzales residents of the same place.
    Witnesses: Pablo Sandoval and Julian Urban of Don Fernado de Taos.
    (per Salazar Marriages)

~Pat~

I am assuming that the full name may have been Francisco Andres Gomez. Andres Gomes married to Soledad Sanchez is all I have written that my grandmother gave me.

I was thinking about my original query about the father of Antonio Romero, also named Antonio Romero born in 1829. If he was 18 yrs when he arrived in the U.S. It would have been about 1847. Since his parents had been murdered I wonder if he lived with another family when he moved to the New Mexico/Southern Colorado area. I can't seem to reach any of the "senior" living relatives today to see if they remember any stories handed down about this gr.,gr., gr., grandpa. I find the story interesting and wonder how he and his little sisters managed to get to Wyoming. Again, thanks for your research. It fans the flames of inquiry into the family history!

Here is some info I found on Ancetry World Tree: There is more but I'd have to send it to your email as it is too much to post here. Also, not wlways is the info correct from this site. SO you will have to check it out. ~Pat~

Generation No. 1

1. Francisco Antonio Gomez was born 7 FEB 1828 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New México. He was the son of 2. Diego Antonio Gomez and 3. Maria Antonia De La Luz Lopez.

Generation No. 2
    2. Diego Antonio Gomez was born 1790 in Abiquiú, Nuevo México. He was the son of 4. Jose Manuel Francisco Antonio Gomez and 5. Maria Antonia Francisca Trujillo.

3. Maria Antonia De La Luz Lopez was born 25 MAR 1809 in Tierra Azul, New México, and died BEF 1846. She was the daughter of 6. Antonio De La Cruz Lopez and 7. Maria Francisca Abeytia.

Children of Maria Antonia De La Luz Lopez and Diego Antonio Gomez are:
    i. Maria Natividad Gomez was born 7 MAR 1825.
    ii. Jose De Jesus Gomez was born 1828. He married Maria Rufina Vallejos 1 FEB 1858 in Arroyo Hondo, New Mexico, daughter of Miguel Antonio Vallejos and Maria Paula Martinez.
    1. iii. Francisco Antonio Gomez was born 7 FEB 1828 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New México.
    iv. Jose Ygnacio Gomez was born BEF 23 SEP 1832 in San Juan Nepomuceno, Nuevo México.
    v. Santiago Gomez was born 9 SEP 1836 in New México.
    vi. Jose Maria De Esqupula Gomez was born 16 JUN 1837 in New México.
    vii. Maria De Jesus Gomez was born 21 DEC 1839 in El Rito, Colorade, Abiquiu, New Mexico. She married Juan Felipe Vallejos 1 FEB 1858 in Arroyo Hondo, New Mexico, son of Miguel Antonio Vallejos and Maria Paula Martinez. He was born 18 SEP 1829 in Arroyo Seco, New Mexico.
    viii. Jose Dolores Gomez was born 27 DEC 1841 in El Rito, Rio Arriba, New México.