468x60 AARP Discounts Couple
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guadalupita Indian Reservation

Guadalupita Indian Reservation

My great-great grandfather married a young girl back in the mid to late 1800's. It is my understanding she was from the Guadalupita Reservation. Has anyone heard of that reservation being in that area?

Thank you,
    Frank
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 03:54 PM.

I've never heard of the Guadalupita Reservation but I have heard of a Guadalupita Colony that was located within Las Animas County. At this time I don't know if they are one in the same.

Alice

flmonto,

Go to this site,

http://www.kmitch.com/Huerfano/sanluis.html

scroll down to this article.

Back in The San Luis Valley

There is also a Guadalupita, New Mexico

Alice and Robert, just in case it's one and the same: The Guadalupita Colony of Trinidad Colorado was founded by many of the pioneer settlers of Mora County NM. One of the surrounding places in Mora County is Guadalupita NM. Luis Baca son of Felipe Baca wrote a manuscript describing that 12 heads of families from the Mora area, on the patron saint day of Our Lady of Guadalupe (early 1862) that they set out with their leader Don Felipe Baca to the Territory of Colorado known as "El Rio de Las Animas", (Trinidad area). This group has come to be known as "the Guadalupita Colony" named after their patron saint and the church of their village they left behind. Some of the names of the families are: Marcus Tafoya, Antonio Duran, Ramon Vigil, Agapito Duran, M. Apodaca, Jacobo Cordova and of course Felipe Baca.
    Source: Luis Baca's manuscript, "Guadalupita Colony of Trinidad" (published Jan. 1944)

Frank if you could let us know the names of the people in question one of us just might find her/him.

~Pat~

Pat,
    My great-great grandfather's name is Mariano Maldonado. I believe he was from Trinidad and when my great-great grandmother died he went to the reservation (colony) and (as the story goes) he took some cattle, horses and goats and got himself a young bride. I do not, at this time, know her last name but her first name is Barbarita. Pat, if you or anyone else can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Frank Montoya
    (This is on my Mom's - Mom's side of the family. My Grandma is Guadalupe (Lupe) Trujillo from Delta. She was 91 when she went home two years ago.

1850 United States Federal Census

Name: Jose Mariano Maldonado
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1801 (born in Rio Arriba County according to this census)
    Birth Place: Rio Arriba Co
    Home in 1850(City,County,State): Northern Division, Taos, New Mexico Territory
    Jose Mariano Maldonado 49
    Maria Barbara Tafoya 40 (born in Rio Arriba County according to this census)
    Jose Manuel Maldonado 14
    Pedro Jose Maldonado 12
    Juan Luis Maldonado 8
    Maria Ascencion Maldonado 6
    Maria Rufina Maldonado 4

1860 United States Federal Census
    about Mariano Maldonado (born in Valencia County NM according to this census)
    Age in 1860: 50
    Birth Year: abt 1810
    Birthplace: New Mexico
    Home in 1860: [u]Golondrinas, Mora, New Mexico Territory </u>
    Post Office: Fernando de Taos
    Mariano Maldonado 50
    Barbara Tafoya 41 (born in Bernalillo NM according to this census)
    Juan Luis Maldonado 20
    Ascencion Maldonado 14
    Rufina Maldonado 10
    Jose De Jessa Maldonado 7
    Natividad Maldonado 5
    Donaciano Maldonado 3
    Juan Antonio Maldonado 3.12

1870 United States Federal Census
    about Mariano Maldonado
    Name: Mariano Maldonado
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1807
    Age in 1870: 63
    Birthplace: New Mexico
    Home in 1870: Trinidad, Las Animas, Colorado Territory
    Race: White
    Mariano Maldonado 63
    MA Barbara Maldonado 21
    Jose De Jesus Maldonado 16
    Natividad Maldonado 14
    They were all born in NM.

The next household was that of Juan Luis Maldonado and his wife Maria delos Reyes and two children.

1880 United States Federal Census
    about Mariano Maldonado
    Name: Mariano Maldonado
    Home in 1880: Las Animas, Colorado
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1820
    Birthplace: New Mexico Territory
    Spouse's Name: Barbara
    Father's birthplace: New Mexico
    Mother's birthplace: New Mexico
    Marital Status: Married
    Race: Mexican (Latino)
    Mariano Maldonado 60
    Barbara Maldonado 38
    Juan Antonio Maldonado 19
    Desideria Maldonado 14
    Francisca Maldonado 12
    Catarina Maldonado 7
    Bernardo Maldonado 5
    Emilia Maldonado 1
    Mariano Maldonado 19
    Jose Donaciano Maldonado 12
    Antonio Maldonado 8
    MA Desideria Maldonado 4
    MA Francisca Maldonado 1

They next household was that of Jose Maldonado 27 and his wife Loreta 25, their children Pedro 6, Ercilia 4 and Manunela 2.

Mariano Maldonado 7, adopted, was baptized 1/28/1869 in Holy Trinity Church Trinidad CO.
    Parents: Mariano Maldonado and Barbara Pacheco. Padrinos:
    Casimiro De Aqui Vigil and Feliciana Vigil

Page 221 Mora NM Baptisms shows Maria Francisca Maldonado born the 6th of March 1869 baptized 3/9 legitimate daughter of Mariano Maldonado and Maria Barbara Pach ? from Guadalupita.
    Padrinos: Jose Miguel Gurule and Maria Justa Sandoval.

Notice: The above two records shows Barbara's surname as Pacheco, the census above shows it as Tafoya. Will look for more info.

~Pat~

Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-16-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Thank you so much Pat for your help.

I found out that Mariano's first wife had passed away and had several (8) children from her prior to he and Barbarita marrying. I was also told that she was around 14 years old when they married.

I don't know any of this so I have been asking some of my family and trying to find out more about all this..

You have truly been a great help.

Frank

Frank here's the info on your ancestor's marriages (He married two different Barbaras):

25 Dec 1833 Taos – Mariano Maldonado, single, s/o Antonio Jose Maldonado and Juliana Barela, originally from San Juan de los Caballeros and residents of Arroyo Seco from the church of Holy Trinity with Maria Barbara Tafoya single, d/o Ypolito Tafoya and Maria Concepcion Chaves, originally from the Parish of San Juan and resident of Arroyo Seco, Padrinos: Manuel Paterson and Maria de la Lus Tafoya, residents of San Fernandes, Wit: Ylario Sandoval and Hermengildo Trugillo, residents of San Fernando
    (Extraction by P. Sanchez Rau)

P. 56 Mora NM Marriages HGRC:
    11/30/1865 Jose Maldonado widow of 1st marriage of Maria Barbara Trujillo (should be Tafoya) with Maria Barbara Pacheco single legitimate daughter of J. Andres Pacheco and Maria Tiburcia ? (see below) from Guadalupita. Witnesses, Antonio Martin and Tomasa Vaca

On the same page Maria Leonor sister to Maria Barbara Pacheco marries J. B. Duran. Her parents names are Andres Pacheco and Tiburcia [u]Lerous</u>.

Here's a website to look at:

http://www.hgrc-nm.org/surnames/GNMP.../surnames.html

Go to the M's and look for Antonio Jose Maldonado. (ect.)

~Pat~

Found this Ancestry World Tree, Compiled by Daniel Trujillo:

Mariano MALDONADO
    Given Name: Mariano
    Surname: Maldonado
    Sex: M
    Birth: 1801 in Arroyo Seco, Taos, New Mexico
    Death: 1902 in San Miguel, CO
    Burial: San Miguel, CO

Father: Antonio Jose MALDONADO b: 1789 in New Mexico
    Mother: Maria Juliana BARELA

Father: Antonio Jose MALDONADO b: 1789 in New Mexico
    Mother: Maria Juliana BARELA b: Abt. 1791 in Taos, New Mexico

Marriage 1 Barbara TAFOYA (see above)
    Married: 1833
    Children
    Jose Manuel MALDONADO
    Juan Luis MALDONADO
    Maria delaluz Asencion MALDONADO
    Maria Rufina MALDONADO
    Jose De Jesus MALDONADO
    Natividad MALDONADO
    Tomesino MALDONADO
    Juan Antonio MALDONADO
    Pedro Jose MALDONADO
    Jose Donaciano MALDONADO

Marriage #2 Maria Barbara Antonia PACHECO born 28 Nov 1848
    Married: abt 1864
    Children
    Mariano L. MALDONADO b: Abt. 1863
    Maria Desideria MALDONADO b: 1866 in Guadalupita, Taos, New Mexico
    Maria Francisca MALDONADO b: 6 Mar 1869 in Guadalupita, Taos, New Mexico
    Leonardo MALDONADO b: 1873 in San Miguel, CO
    Catarina MALDONADO b: 1875 in San Miguel, CO
    Jose Donaciano MALDONADO b: 1876 in San Miguel, CO
    Juanita MALDONADO b: 1883 in San Miguel, CO
    Emilia MALDONADO b: 1885 in San Miguel, CO
    Jose Francisco MALDONADO b: 9 Mar 1889 in San Miguel, Colorado

Added Marriages:

12 Dec 1833 – Jose Maria Sanches, single, son of Jose Francisco Sanchez and Maria Baca, originally from the parish of San Juan de los Caballeros, resident of Arroyo Seco married Maria Victoria Maldonado, single, daughter of Antonio Jose Maldonado and Juliana Barela, originally from this parish and resident of Arroyo Seco, Sponsors: Juan Lobato and Maria Dolores Sanches, Witnesses: Nicolas Duran and Jose Manuel Romero, residents of San Fernandes

2 Jan 1837 – Jose Francisco Sanches, single, son of Jose Antonio Sanches and Maria del Carmel Vigil, residents of the Plaza of La Sienega in this parish of Taos, married Maria Soledad Maldonado, single daughter of Antonio Jose Maldonado and Maria Julianita Barela, residents of the plaza of Santissima Trinidad of Arroyo Seco, Sponsors: Miguel Antonio Vigil and Maria Encarnacion Martin, residents of El Rancho, Witnesses: Jose Rafael Tenorio and Juan Nicolas Duran, residents of San Fernandes

5 Dec 1842 – Victor Baldonado, single son of Antonio Jose Baldonado and Maria Juliana Barela, originally from the parish of Tome, resident of the Plaza of Santissima Trinidad married Maria Guadalupe Olguin, single daughter of Jose Gabriel Olguin and Biviana Garcia, originally from the parish of Santa Cruz de la Cañada and resident of the Plaza of Santissima Trinidad, Padrinos: Joaquin Garcia and Maria Encarnacion (?) residents of the same place, Witnesses Jose Rafael Tenorio and Pablo Sandoval, residents of the Plaza of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe

4 Sep 1848 – Francisco Maldonado, single son of Antonio Jose Maldonado and Maria Juliana Barela, residents of San Francisco del Rancho, native of Taos, married Maria Gregoria Lucero, single daughter of Juan Antonio Lucero and Maria Barbara Cordova, residents of the same place, native of Taos, Padrinos: Francisco Despor and Maria Ynes Chaves, Witnesses Pablo Sandoval and Julian Urban, of Don Fernando

20 Nov 1848 – Antonio Jose Maldonado, widowed of Maria Juliana Barela, resident of the Plaza of Santissima Trinidad, native of Tome, married Maria de la Encarnacion Vigil, single, daughter of Rafael Vigil and Maria del Carmel Valerio, resident of the same Place, native of Picuris, Padrinos: Francisco Despor and Maria Ynes Chaves, Witnesses Julian Urban and Pablo Sandoval, residents of Don Fernando
    Source: http://www.kmitch.com/Taos/marrm.html