Adobe Gold Properties
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guadalupita Indian Reservation

Hybrid View

Guadalupita Indian Reservation

My great-great grandfather married a young girl back in the mid to late 1800's. It is my understanding she was from the Guadalupita Reservation. Has anyone heard of that reservation being in that area?

Thank you,
    Frank
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 03:54 PM.

I've never heard of the Guadalupita Reservation but I have heard of a Guadalupita Colony that was located within Las Animas County. At this time I don't know if they are one in the same.

Alice

flmonto,

Go to this site,

http://www.kmitch.com/Huerfano/sanluis.html

scroll down to this article.

Back in The San Luis Valley

There is also a Guadalupita, New Mexico

Alice and Robert, just in case it's one and the same: The Guadalupita Colony of Trinidad Colorado was founded by many of the pioneer settlers of Mora County NM. One of the surrounding places in Mora County is Guadalupita NM. Luis Baca son of Felipe Baca wrote a manuscript describing that 12 heads of families from the Mora area, on the patron saint day of Our Lady of Guadalupe (early 1862) that they set out with their leader Don Felipe Baca to the Territory of Colorado known as "El Rio de Las Animas", (Trinidad area). This group has come to be known as "the Guadalupita Colony" named after their patron saint and the church of their village they left behind. Some of the names of the families are: Marcus Tafoya, Antonio Duran, Ramon Vigil, Agapito Duran, M. Apodaca, Jacobo Cordova and of course Felipe Baca.
    Source: Luis Baca's manuscript, "Guadalupita Colony of Trinidad" (published Jan. 1944)

Frank if you could let us know the names of the people in question one of us just might find her/him.

~Pat~

Re: Guadalupita Indian Reservation

[QUOTE=PAMM;38429][b]Alice and Robert, just in case it's one and the same: The Guadalupita Colony of Trinidad Colorado was founded by many of the pioneer settlers of Mora County NM. One of the surrounding places in Mora County is Guadalupita NM. Luis Baca son of Felipe Baca wrote a manuscript describing that 12 heads of families from the Mora area, on the patron saint day of Our Lady of Guadalupe (early 1862) that they set out with their leader Don Felipe Baca to the Territory of Colorado known as "El Rio de Las Animas", (Trinidad area). This group has come to be known as "the Guadalupita Colony" named after their patron saint and the church of their village they left behind. Some of the names of the families are: Marcus Tafoya, Antonio Duran, Ramon Vigil, Agapito Duran, M. Apodaca, Jacobo Cordova and of course Felipe Baca.
    Source: Luis Baca's manuscript, "Guadalupita Colony of Trinidad" (published Jan. 1944)

Frank if you could let us know the names of the people in question one of us just might find her/him.

PAMM Can you tell me where you found the Luis Baca manuscript, Guadalupita Colony of Trinidad, published in 1944.
    Is it available somewhere, that I might go a view or get a copy?

Pat,
    My great-great grandfather's name is Mariano Maldonado. I believe he was from Trinidad and when my great-great grandmother died he went to the reservation (colony) and (as the story goes) he took some cattle, horses and goats and got himself a young bride. I do not, at this time, know her last name but her first name is Barbarita. Pat, if you or anyone else can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Frank Montoya
    (This is on my Mom's - Mom's side of the family. My Grandma is Guadalupe (Lupe) Trujillo from Delta. She was 91 when she went home two years ago.

Re: Guadalupita Indian Reservation

Quote Originally Posted by flmonto View Post
    Pat,
    My great-great grandfather's name is Mariano Maldonado. I believe he was from Trinidad and when my great-great grandmother died he went to the reservation (colony) and (as the story goes) he took some cattle, horses and goats and got himself a young bride. I do not, at this time, know her last name but her first name is Barbarita. Pat, if you or anyone else can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Frank Montoya
    (This is on my Mom's - Mom's side of the family. My Grandma is Guadalupe (Lupe) Trujillo from Delta. She was 91 when she went home two years ago.
    Frank,

My great-great grandfather also is Mariano Maldonado. I am descended from his young bride Maria Barbara Antonia Pacheco. Maria Barbara Antonia was the daughter of Juan Andres Pacheco and Maria Tiburcia Ledoux. I am descended from Mariano through his son Leonardo Maldonado. I also discovered that Maldonado wasn't our real last name. It was Montano, Juan Antonio Montano de Sotomayor was born in Mexico City in 1651 and moved to New Mexico in 1677 listed as a convict with pimply fair skin. His son Manuel took the last name Maldonado while the others remained Montano. Sotomayor's grandson Jose Montano Maldonado (1732) used both last names and his son Dionisio (1766) too. Antonio Jose Maldonado (1786/89) dropped Montano from his name and it remained Maldonado when Mariano was born in 1801. Antonio Jose Maldonado was a Spanish soldier stationed at Belen, New Mexico. I could not find any more information on Sotomayor or the name of his father.

Mark Perez

1850 United States Federal Census

Name: Jose Mariano Maldonado
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1801 (born in Rio Arriba County according to this census)
    Birth Place: Rio Arriba Co
    Home in 1850(City,County,State): Northern Division, Taos, New Mexico Territory
    Jose Mariano Maldonado 49
    Maria Barbara Tafoya 40 (born in Rio Arriba County according to this census)
    Jose Manuel Maldonado 14
    Pedro Jose Maldonado 12
    Juan Luis Maldonado 8
    Maria Ascencion Maldonado 6
    Maria Rufina Maldonado 4

1860 United States Federal Census
    about Mariano Maldonado (born in Valencia County NM according to this census)
    Age in 1860: 50
    Birth Year: abt 1810
    Birthplace: New Mexico
    Home in 1860: [u]Golondrinas, Mora, New Mexico Territory </u>
    Post Office: Fernando de Taos
    Mariano Maldonado 50
    Barbara Tafoya 41 (born in Bernalillo NM according to this census)
    Juan Luis Maldonado 20
    Ascencion Maldonado 14
    Rufina Maldonado 10
    Jose De Jessa Maldonado 7
    Natividad Maldonado 5
    Donaciano Maldonado 3
    Juan Antonio Maldonado 3.12

1870 United States Federal Census
    about Mariano Maldonado
    Name: Mariano Maldonado
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1807
    Age in 1870: 63
    Birthplace: New Mexico
    Home in 1870: Trinidad, Las Animas, Colorado Territory
    Race: White
    Mariano Maldonado 63
    MA Barbara Maldonado 21
    Jose De Jesus Maldonado 16
    Natividad Maldonado 14
    They were all born in NM.

The next household was that of Juan Luis Maldonado and his wife Maria delos Reyes and two children.

1880 United States Federal Census
    about Mariano Maldonado
    Name: Mariano Maldonado
    Home in 1880: Las Animas, Colorado
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1820
    Birthplace: New Mexico Territory
    Spouse's Name: Barbara
    Father's birthplace: New Mexico
    Mother's birthplace: New Mexico
    Marital Status: Married
    Race: Mexican (Latino)
    Mariano Maldonado 60
    Barbara Maldonado 38
    Juan Antonio Maldonado 19
    Desideria Maldonado 14
    Francisca Maldonado 12
    Catarina Maldonado 7
    Bernardo Maldonado 5
    Emilia Maldonado 1
    Mariano Maldonado 19
    Jose Donaciano Maldonado 12
    Antonio Maldonado 8
    MA Desideria Maldonado 4
    MA Francisca Maldonado 1

They next household was that of Jose Maldonado 27 and his wife Loreta 25, their children Pedro 6, Ercilia 4 and Manunela 2.

Mariano Maldonado 7, adopted, was baptized 1/28/1869 in Holy Trinity Church Trinidad CO.
    Parents: Mariano Maldonado and Barbara Pacheco. Padrinos:
    Casimiro De Aqui Vigil and Feliciana Vigil

Page 221 Mora NM Baptisms shows Maria Francisca Maldonado born the 6th of March 1869 baptized 3/9 legitimate daughter of Mariano Maldonado and Maria Barbara Pach ? from Guadalupita.
    Padrinos: Jose Miguel Gurule and Maria Justa Sandoval.

Notice: The above two records shows Barbara's surname as Pacheco, the census above shows it as Tafoya. Will look for more info.

~Pat~

Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-16-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Thank you so much Pat for your help.

I found out that Mariano's first wife had passed away and had several (8) children from her prior to he and Barbarita marrying. I was also told that she was around 14 years old when they married.

I don't know any of this so I have been asking some of my family and trying to find out more about all this..

You have truly been a great help.

Frank

Frank here's the info on your ancestor's marriages (He married two different Barbaras):

25 Dec 1833 Taos – Mariano Maldonado, single, s/o Antonio Jose Maldonado and Juliana Barela, originally from San Juan de los Caballeros and residents of Arroyo Seco from the church of Holy Trinity with Maria Barbara Tafoya single, d/o Ypolito Tafoya and Maria Concepcion Chaves, originally from the Parish of San Juan and resident of Arroyo Seco, Padrinos: Manuel Paterson and Maria de la Lus Tafoya, residents of San Fernandes, Wit: Ylario Sandoval and Hermengildo Trugillo, residents of San Fernando
    (Extraction by P. Sanchez Rau)

P. 56 Mora NM Marriages HGRC:
    11/30/1865 Jose Maldonado widow of 1st marriage of Maria Barbara Trujillo (should be Tafoya) with Maria Barbara Pacheco single legitimate daughter of J. Andres Pacheco and Maria Tiburcia ? (see below) from Guadalupita. Witnesses, Antonio Martin and Tomasa Vaca

On the same page Maria Leonor sister to Maria Barbara Pacheco marries J. B. Duran. Her parents names are Andres Pacheco and Tiburcia [u]Lerous</u>.

Here's a website to look at:

http://www.hgrc-nm.org/surnames/GNMP.../surnames.html

Go to the M's and look for Antonio Jose Maldonado. (ect.)

~Pat~