Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old building that was on "five corners"

The old building that was on "five corners"

Some people were wandering when the big stone building on five corners was knocked down.It was on the corner of Colorado avenue and Arizona street? This is a good question for RR-Guy. I will be waiting for your answer.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-11-2010 at 03:44 PM.

BARBERGEO,

First I would like to thank you for your confidence of my rooting out answers, but in this case I'm afraid we will have to depend on the local Trinidadians expertise. :)

I only have pictures of the Methodist Church that was south of the large building on the southwest corner of Colorado and Arizona.

I do not have any photos of either of the corner buildings.

Perhaps if you specify which corner, SW or NW, of Colorado and Arizona we might get an answer. :)

northwest corner, current location of car wash was the arizona apts. a building which would qualify for historic preservation today. torn down around 1967. across the street, northeast corner was a two story brick building, the lunch tavern. business moved and torn down around the same time.
    southeast corner, now the home of bell's station, was a garage, Macliver's i think. torn down in the 50's when the interstate was built.

old mind, might be off a couple years.

huey w

thank you Hueyu I do not remember when thay tore that building down. I guess I should have I was still living in T-dad in 1967. I graduated that year but I did go into the navy sometime at the end of that year thay must have taken it down after I left. Thats ok RR-guy Hueyw got you covered. Thank you Hueyw for the info.

Barbergeo,

Did they rename Arizona Ave? Could not find it on Google Earth.

Wasn't there a drug store in that building in the mid 1960's? I could have the old mind also, but I remember my grandpa taking me for an ice cream there and I remember it being a square scoop. I think it was called the "Handy Corner". One of my old maid great aunts lived in the apartments upstairs for a time, but I really don't remember much about the architecture of the building now.

laticai,
    I remember the Tessari's owned the building but don't remember it being a drug store but then I was just a kid back then in the early 1950's.

Oh... Look what I found....:D

RR-GUY,

That looks like a old CONOCO gas station on one of the corners. What was the year of that old photo? It looks like the early 1930's.

quote:Originally posted by sandman

RR-GUY,

That looks like a old CONOCO gas station on one of the corners. What was the year of that old photo? It looks like the early 1930's.
    sandman,

Not sure of exact year of that postcard. Late 1920's, or early 1930's is a good guess. Yep, a CONOCO gas station. Probably 21 1/2 cents per gallon. :D