Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juan M. Garcia Ancestors

Wink Juan M. Garcia Ancestors

Can anyone help me find information for my great grandfather Juan M. Garcia and his ancestors. Here's what I know so far:

Juan M. Garcia was born in about 1857 in New Mexico. I do not know his father's or mother's name. He married twice. First to my great grandmother, I don't know her name, and then to Delfinia Unknown in about 1897.

Juan M. Garcia and Unknown had the following children/grandchildren:

1. Jose Melalchias (Joe Malaquias) Garcia was born on 18 Feb 1885 in Colorado and died in Jun 1974 in Denver, Colorado. He married Manuelita (unknown). Manuelita was born on 26 Mar 1892 in Delagua, Colorado and died in Dec 1972 in Denver, Colorado. They had the following children:
    a. Maria Orfilia Garcia was born in about 1909 Colorado. She married Jesus Gonzales who was born in 7 Jan 1905 in Colorado and died in Aug 1987 in Aguilar, Las Animas, Colorado.
    b. Joe Garcia was born in about 1910 in Colorado
    c. Juan M (John) Garcia was born in about 1913 in Colorado
    d. Tony Garcia was born in about 1923 in Colorado
    e. Henry J Garcia 31 May 1929 in Colorado and died on 8 Dec 1988 in Trinidad, Las Animas, Colorado.
    2. Eusavio (Eusabio) Ed Garcia was born on 4 Jul 1889 in Colorado. He married Erenia (Irene) who was born in about 1901. The had the following childrean:
    a. Antonio Eusavio Garcia was born about 1919 in Colorado.
    b. Ersila Garcia was born in about 1922 in Colorado.
    c. Fransciacita (Francis) Garcia was born in about 1925 in Colorado.
    3. Diego GARCIA was born 24 Nov 1891 in Aguilar, Colorado and died in 1923 in Delagua, Las Animas, Colorado. He married Rosa Trujillo in about 1912 and had the following children:
    a. Isabel GARCIA (1913 – 2006)
    b. Nastacita Garcia born in about 1914 and died in infancy.
    c. Juan Diego II Garcia (1919 – 1939) died when a bridge washed out and swept his car away.
    d. Elias (Lee) Garcia (1920 – 1989)
    e. Diegito GARCIA died in infancy.
    I'm at an impasse and need help!

Thank you,

Debbie

Re: Juan M. Garcia Ancestors

I found Jaun M Garcia born Jan 1857 in the 1900 U.S. census Wifes Name Definia Could also be Delfinia born Jan 1862 Son Jose M Garcia born April 1887 Son Eusavio born May 1889 . I also show Juan and Delfinia with son Diego in 1910 census.

Did you see this census?

1900 Census Walsenburg, Huerfano, Colorado 14 JUN 1900
    HH #197-412
    Garcia, Jose M.|Head|Jan|1835|65|30|NM|Farm-laborer
    Garcia, Petra|Wife|May|1840|60|30|D|NM|house-keeper
    Garcia, Francisca|G-Dau|Aug|1885|14|CO|NM|NM|Student
    Garcia, Melaquias|G-Son|June|1884|15|CO|NM|NM|Day-laborer

GARCIA, IRENE...... 21 July 1993-Resident of Aguilar and former resident of Delagua and Trinidad. Born in Tijeras, Colorado, on March 12, 1900 to Christina (Tapia) and Francisco Griego. She was preceded in death by parents Christina and Francisco; husband Eusebio Garcia; and son Antonio Eusebio Garcia. Survivors are son Thomas Jones; and daughters Frances Garcia and Ercilia Garcia Simpson. Buried July 26, 1993, at the Trujillo Creek Cemetery (Chronicle News 7-23-1993)

GARCIA, JOE M.....19 June 1974-Passed away in Denver. A lifelong resident of the Trinidad area. Buried June 24, 1974, in the Trujillo Creek Cemetery. (Chronicle News-6-20-1974).

GARCIA, JUAN DIEGO....20 August 1939-Died as a victim of a flood, he was 21 years old. He is survived by his mother Mrs. Rosa Garcia, one brother Elias and sister Mrs. Isabelle Vigil. Buried August 26, 1939, at Trujillo Creek Cemetery.

GARCIA, JUAN M......20 March 1938-Passed away at Delagua, Co. Buried March 24, 1938, at Trujillo Creek Cemetery. (Morning Light-March 22, 1938).

GARCIA, MALAQUIAS GEORGE.....10 Aug. 1927-Three month old daughter (should be son ?) of Mr. and Mrs. Jose M. Garcia, died at their home at Delagua, Co. Buried August 11, 1927, at the Trujillo Creek Cemetery. (Chronicle News, 8-10-27).

GARCIA, MANUELITA.......5 Aug 1950-Resident of Delagua, passed away at San Rafael Hospital at Trinidad. She was born in Hastings, Co., April, 28, 1892. She is survived by her husband Joe M. Garcia; three sons Joe A., Johnny, and Henry Garcia; daughter Mrs. Jesus Gonzales; two brothers Emilio and Romalo Martinez; and a sister Niefa Espinoza. Buried Aug. 9, 1950, at Trujillo Creek Cemetery (Chronicle News 8-7-1950-Morning Light 8-8-1950).

GARCIA, TONY.....20 August 1939-Died as a victim of a flood. He was 17 years old and son of Mr. Mrs. Joe M. Garcia of Delagua. He is survived by his parents and three brothers John, Joe, and Henry Garcia and one sister Mrs. Ophelia Gonzales. Buried Aug 26, 1939, at Trujillo Creek Cemetery. (Chronicle News 8-22-1939)

GONZALES, OPHELIA......3 October 1990-Died at Huerfano Memorial Hospital in Walsenburg. Born November 10, 1908, in Delagua, Co. to Joe M. and Manuelita Garcia. She was preceded in death by her parents and husband Jesus Gonzales. She is survived by grandson Patrick (Jackie) Gonzales; sons Rudy (Rose) Gonzales, Joe (Barbara) Gonzales, and Max (Bernadine) Gonzales; daughters Esther (Edward) Velasquez, Victoria (Ken) Davis, Josephine (Ray)Miller, Benita Morgan, and Yvonne Crockett; and brother Joe Garcia. Buried Oct. 6, 1990, at the Trinidad Catholic Cemetery. (Chronicle News 10-4-1990).

GONZALES, JESUS (SARGEANT)....7 August 1987-Died at St. Mary Corwin Hospital in Pueblo, Co. Born in Taltenango, Mexico, on January 7, 1905. A retired coal miner. He was preceded in death by Mrs. Delfina Sargeant. He is survived by wife Ophelia (Garcia) Gonzales; sons Patick Gonzales, Rudy (Rose) Gonzales, Joe (Barbara) Gonzales, and Malaqueas (Bernie) Gonzales; daughters Esther (Edward) Velasquez, Victoria (Ken) Davis, Josephine (Raymond) Miller, Benita Morgan, and Yvonne Crockett; and sister Leanore Wolaver. Buried Aug. 10, 1987, in the Trinidade Catholic Cemetery. (Chronicle News-8-7-1987)

Hopefully these are some of your relatives.

Alice

This information was taken from the book by Theodore L. Rousses, "Aguilar Colorado & The Upper Apishapa Valley".

I have looked for this family and have came to the conclusion that your Juan M. Garcia is the s/o Jose Dolores Garcia and Maria Dolores Crespin.
    He was baptized 2/17/1856 in Santa Gertrudes Church Mora NM. His padrinos were Selsontiano Lucero and Maria Andrea Mansanares.
    They are also in the 1860 census for Santa Gertrudes Mora County NM. His siblings: Jose Guadalupe, Maria Merced, Maria Abelina, Maria Mergilda, Jose Gabriel, and Maria Dolores.

Juan de Mata married 7/19/1880 Holy Trinity Church, Trinidad Maria Dolores VIGIL of the same place, daughter of Maria Raymunda.
    Godparents for marriage: Jose Ignacio Medina and Maria Manuela Atensio

Holy Trinity Church records also show a marriage for Juan Ma Garcia of Gulnare CO, with Delfinia Castro 8/19/1889.
    No parents are listed for either.

The following marriages are from the Colorado Marriages:

Garcia, Juan Ma ~ Castro, Delfinia 19 Aug 1897 Las Animas County License #2670

Garcia, Meloquinas ~ Martinez, Manuelita 13 Apr 1907 Las Animas County License #1350

Garcia, Eusebio ~ Griego, Irenia 01 Mar 1920 Las Animas County License #3253

(Could be the one you mentioned: Garcia, Eusebio ~ Semano, Arcadia 21 Mar 1916 Las AnimasCounty License #1683)

Garcia, Diego ~ Trujillo, Rosa 05 Aug 1912 Las Animas County License #354

Garcia, Ofelia ~ Gonzales, Jesus 20 Oct 1928 Las Animas County License #6913

I also looked in the baptisms for the three sons of Juan M. Garcia, but I did not find any of them in the records.

Well I won't take away all the fun for you to find your family so I won't go farther. I really hope this is your family.

Contact me if you need more. Goodluck.

~Pat~

June, Dodie, Alice and Pat,

I'd given up all hopes of finding any information for the Garcia line and started on another branch. I hadn't come to this site in a while and several days ago my father and I were talking and I decided to visit this site again. I was so excited to see your posts that I cried with joy. I've just started documenting the data in ancestry.com and will gladly call on your assistance again if I need more help. Thank you so much for your help!

Debbie
    Last edited by dvigil; 12-15-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Hi Pat,

Do you have additional information for Jose Dolores Garcia and Maria Dolores Crespin? I've updated my tree with the wealth of info provided here, but have not been able to find anything for these two.

Thanks,

Debbie

1860 Census Santa Gertrudes, Mora, New Mexico
    Jose Dolores Garcia|40
    Ma. Dolores Crespin|38
    Jose Guadalupe Garcia|18
    Ma. Merced Garcia|16
    Ma. Abelina Garcia|14
    Ma. Mergilda Garcia|12
    Jose Gabriel Garcia|10
    Juan Mate Garcia|7
    Ma. Dolores Garcia|2

1870 Census La Sebolla, Mora, New Mexico Territory 6 AUG 1870
    HH #56
    Crestina, Dolores|33|Farmer|NM
    Garcia, Gabriel|16|Farming|NM
    Garcia, Mata|12|NM
    Garcia, Dolores|10|NM
    Crestina, Leonora|7|NM

Chavez tree shows Jose Dolores Garcia born 1820; Rio Arriba, NM; death APR 1870; Conejos, Colorado (parents not shown); married Dolores Crespin (Crestina); born 1822; Rio Arriba, NM (parents not shown).

Child:
    Gabriel Garcia born abt. 1853; married Beatrice Trujillo.

Lots of Jose Dolores Garcias...found the following death records for Conejos.

Page 65
    1 May 1870, Jose Dolores Garcia, 30 years old, husband of Maria Antonia Valdez. Section 4 of the Church.
    http://www.kmitch.com/Huerfano/conejosdeaths.html

U. S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules Index
    Dolores Garcia
    Year: 1870
    State: CO
    Month of Death: APR
    State of Birth: NM
    ID #: MRT197_114775
    Cause of Death: Liver Dis

Thank you Dodie... Still looking for the parents of Jose Dolores Garcia and Maria Dolores Crespin and parents for Maria Dolores Vigil.

Can anyone tell me how I can purchase the book by Theodore L. Rousses, "Aguilar Colorado & The Upper Apishapa Valley"?

Thank you,
    Debbie