Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information

Thread: Building a house

Building a house

This is an addition to our previous posting. My wife and I are moving to Trinidad from Omaha Ne. in June of 05. We have been researching Trinidad for the last 2 years. We have made several trips out there looking at property and houses and bought 7 acres in Spanish Highlands and are having a modular built on it. We know that water and mineral rights are very sticky subjects. We are having a tough time finding out where to get water for a cistern system.If anyone out there in the hills has any info, we would be grateful to hear it. I'm a Southern California native and moved to Omaha to get away from the crowds. 8 years later, Omaha has gotten too crowded for my taste. Not to mention all this flat gives me the willies. For anyone looking for property in the Trinidad area, we have been working with Ed Trommeter at Town and Country Realty and we highly recommend him. Again, any info on rural water would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-05-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Who's building your modular and how did you go about selecting them?
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-05-2010 at 12:32 AM.

jade05
    A cistern system is a system in which collects water such as rain or run off mostly rain which is gathered in a tank filtered through rock & sand into another tank for use these are usually just above ground mostly in ground to collect water. A water tank is a large tank above ground as a rule, that holds your water supply in which is filled by purchasing water & having it delivered. My suggestion is that you have a well put in if there is a water quality issue you can add a filtering system to the pump if you dont wish to do that a tank would be the next best thing.I hope this takes away any confusion for you. By the way where exactly is the Spanish Hills?
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-05-2010 at 12:33 AM.
    THE BEST TO ALL. www.CashInBiz.com

Garth;
    We bought 7 acres in Spanish Highlands and are putting a Magnolia modular on it. We are using Mattorano Homes for the contracting work. Tony has a good rep and we did a LOT of research into all phases of this. Have to say we know more about construction loans and building a new home than we intended. If anyone is looking to build a home, I recommend Tony highly. A word of caution. If you are looking to secure any kind of construction loan and especially a one time close, don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and demand answers from the loan company. We had numerous problems because of lack of information from our loan company. Got it all worked out though with a lot of phone calls. With the drop in interest rates, there has been a glut of finance companies with a resultant drop in customer service. Remember, it's YOUR money. OK I'm done with the PSA. Please ask if there any questions about financing.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-05-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Scoutmaster:
    Spanish Highlands is West of Trinidad by Bon Carbo. Out Hwy. 12 to Cokedale and go North. Follow county road past the post office at Bon Carbo and take the left road at the split. That's 30.1. That is pretty much the beginning of Spanish Highlands. You can also take Burro Cyn. road north. If you follow 30.1, you will run into Rancho La Garita. Live in Omaha, but have been to Trinidad a half dozen times on scouting trips and vacation. Going again in April and can't wait to have one of Gino's skillets at the Main Street Cafe.:)
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-05-2010 at 12:34 AM.

I am not sure if you plan to hall water or drill a well but I have learned the following ." In Colorado If you have less than 35 acres (34.99 or less) you are issued a "House Hold Use Only" permit which is for use inside your home only. If you need to wash your vehicles, water your livestock/horses, or water your garden you will have to haul water for that purpose. If you have 35 acres or more you can get a domestic well permit and water livestock etc."
    Some of the New people moving to the Las Animas County area and or Fountain area have bought property and are not aware of that .They have had issues later trying to find water supply. I know one person from California that bought 10 acres with a house dry well assuming they could drill another well. But there had been several attempts made at drilling wells without luck and the only permit they got was to clean one of the wells already drilled. It pumps very little less than a gallon a minute. I know some people haul water and I don't know the specifics. But I also know that outside of Fountain, Colorado there is a development that is 5 acre lots with modular or trailor homes that has been hauling water from Fountain for years until January 2005. The city of Fountain decided it could not provide water for that development as it has grown several thousand people and will need the water supplies for the city . It has left that development "dry" or facing expensive options so please be careful. I cannot blame the city as it has grown a lot. I am not an expert on this subject by all means. But I think people need to think about it, as Water is a big Issue in Colorado.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-05-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Hi Jade,
    Our property is in Spanish Highlands also. We hope to move there in a couple of years if not sooner. We have put in a 1500 gal water tank. You can buy water and have it delivered or pick it up (assuming you have the tank and truck to carry it). We may be going up sometime in April also. Maybe we will get to meet sometime as we will be neighbors.

Becky
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-12-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Hi Becky.
    My wife and I are coming out there on the 14,15,16 of April to meet with our contractor and put in apps for jobs prior to moving in to our house in the beginning of June. It would be great to meet other residents of that area to talk about living up there. Just put up another post about a trailer for hauling water. We checked with Pioneer about buying water and were told you can set up an account with them and buy water from them at their fill station in Valdez. You can also buy water in town from Art Trujillo on Main St.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-12-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Jade,
    We might be there around that time in April. My husband is a building contractor in Houston and we can only go if we have all our jobs under control. Hopefully we will be free in about a month. If we go then, I'll get back in touch with you to see if we can meet and see your place.
    Becky
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-12-2010 at 03:12 PM.