Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: area info

area info

Hello:
    I'm another one of those "thinking about moving to Trinidad"....My only question is this.....in what section of the area would I absolutely NOT want to live? The perfect place for me would be 30 secluded acres and a trip to town maybe twice a month.....I have been reading all the "negatives" but it seems the beauty far outweights the undesired...I am living in a huge city now and a few "tweekers" and "sex changes" are irrelevent...Be honest....is the crime limited only to drugs or are people murdered on a daily basis? Is the local hospital NOT going to satisfy my health needs? Also, how far to the closest airport? What are the gun laws? Is it within the law to walk your property with a weapon and use it if need be???? Seems like a great place....Much more "real" than southwest Co. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Most anywhere in Trinidad is fine. I have friends in all parts of town and know of no negative neighborhoods. Key here is living where there is water and plenty of it. The negatives are going to be worked out. Keep watching here and you will see that there is a huge number of us 40 and 50 somethings about to take the town back and straighten up the negatives.
    I only have heard of 1 murder in town in the 3 years I have been back home. I lived in worse places in Denver for sure. The hospital at this point will NOT meet your needs but that is about to change. Airport depends on your definition. Colorado Springs has a great one and that is about 120 miles from here to the airport. Colorado gun laws are pretty open and can be found on the web. If you are out in the county it really isn't ever going to be much of a problem. Double Barrell of this forum can help you out there. I would be happy to show you the great side of Trinidad any time you like. Thanks for thinking of moving here.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    www.Usmorlans.com the place for all things computer

Thanks for the reply to my question. I hope others will contribute as well. I am also one of "50's" and would love to help you get your town back. How far to a decent hospital?

I personally am recovering still from some real serious kidney and pancreatic troubles. I went to Pueblo...80 miles...I have not tried the N.M. hospital as my insurance won't cover it. In fact my insurance (Aetna) won't cover work here either due to the outlandish charges and lack of full facility. Pueblo has worked VERY nicely for me in this emergency. We would be happy to have your help.

gotblues; I got a chuckle out of your posting, especially "Is it within the law to walk your property with a weapon and use it if need be????"

Here's my take on this; you'd be hard pressed to find someone that lives in rural Las Animas county that doesn't own at least one gun and carry one frequently. This is as close to an old west setting as you are going to find in Colorado. Now, as far as carrying a gun on your property - that is no problem, but I'm not sure what you mean by "..use it if need be". For legal hunting purposes; yes, indeed - that is not a problem. For controlling trespassers; NO. That is what the Sherif's office is for - let them handle criminal activity by legal means. There have been some that have taken the law into their own hands but pay the price too. Now if someone is breaking into your house and/or threatening your life, that is a whole different story. Personally, I abide by pretty strong ethics and respect on gun use. Same goes for hunting. I've only harvested one bear, one elk, and one turkey in 6 yrs of hunting in Las Animas and it isn't because I couldn't have taken many more. I buy every license possible each year to support the CO DOW and game management programs. For example I get apply and usually draw a MULE BUCK tag every year but don't even consider harvesting one due to the declining populations in the area. I hope to participate in the upcoming Wildlife Habitat Improvement program that is targeting land/habitat improvements in Porgitore river drainage to bring back the mule deer populations.

Here's the bottom line for me: if you are a restless cowboy looking to shoot up the country side, don't move here. If you respect your neighbors right to peaceful enjoyment of their property and use guns with respect and within the law; this is the place for you. Trinidad also has nationally respected gunsmithing school (one of the top in the country)that is recognized by the NRA.

We love people that make Las Animas a better place to enjoy and respect each other. I happen to find a balance of tolerance in the area that is appealing to me.

One more item that may interest you; don't buy any less than 35 acres here; otherwise you restrict some of your land owner rights (i.e water wells). You can easily find lots of properties that are 35-40 acres here (prices vary but generally fall to within the $1500-2000 per acre range). Another thing to watch for is covenants - be carefull where you buy and what Property Owner Association you fall into (they can be a real hassle because they are locally governed by inexperienced and sometimes very emotionl or greedy people). Older associations have less rules or have dissovled completely. There are also properties that do not have an established POA.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 08:18 PM.

One more story I found compelling to share. I haven't seen anything like this since my days of living in Montana 30 yrs ago. About two years ago, I was picking up a few items at one of my favorite places, Big R in Trinidad. A young lady walked in behind me wearing well used chaps and a Ruger 22 mag six shooter on her side. She was carrying a one yr old baby in one hand and a two year old behind her in tow. She looked like she was right out of the 1800's and a very pretty girl too. Believe me it was not a costume either; she was a real cowgirl! Anyway, that always stuck in my mind. No one stared (except probably me). Heck, I even checked the parking lot expecting to see a horse hitched at the front rail.

DB Thanks man. I knew you had been through all of this and would be the man to answer. There are a lot of folks like the gal you described around town. I don't know of any neighbors (and I live in town) that don't carry or at least own. No trouble from it but for example we get bears and this year a mountain lion in the hood and you have to be able to protect yourself. When I was a kid growing up there were several horses around town at any given time. We might all have to go back to that if gas situations don't change!

DoubleBarrel - I too got a chuckle from your posting. I am new to this forum crap and really don't know the proper posting ettiquette but guess I will just reply like everyone else. Your thoughts were quite enlightening and so true. Don't worry it is not my objective to "shoot up the town". I am a law abiding citizen who does buy fishing and hunting licenses even though I've never been asked to show them. It would be my luck to not have one on they day they asked me! I was just curious - I know the laws differ from state to state and rest free knowing that we would not "tear the town up". Since I have read so many negatives about Trinidad I felt it proper to ask the question anyways. I am well versed in the stupid covenants most rural areas offer - I had been looking in the Durango area but got tired of all the rules and people physically removing me from the property as they do not want anymore new people moving there. You guys seem to be more tolerant in your area. I appreciate that. Guess I need all the guidance I can get regarding locations, decent real estate people, etc. I am pretty much pressed for time and need to make a purchase pretty quick. I am doing a 1031 property exchange. I find Trinidad to be very exciting and I look forward to moving your way soon. So....keep the info coming as I am pretty much in the dark here. One more thing.....When does the snow begin???? Been many years since I have seen it.....
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 08:19 PM.

The First Snow avg is mid October for here. It hasn't done much and is very dry now. Very temperate here. I always send people for Real Estate to Charlie Barks of Adobe Gold. He is an honest and good man. We have him to thank for this forum actually. If you just click on the "Members" button up above and then pick the Forum Administrator you can email him. There are also links on the bottom of this page just below the Submit Reply buttons that will take you to some of his properties. You will like it here. Sound like one of us already! As far as the Forum goes...here as long as you are civil and honest you will have great results. Hold the profanity...isn't really needed and remember that EVERYONE has a right to their own view. That is my basic rule of thumb for life and forums!
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Usmorlans..thanks for the info on the weather and how to use this forum. It seems I learn something new everyday. I have contacted Adobe Gold and hope to hear from them soon. Its very difficult to choose property long distance! As you get older it seems your priorities change - this old weary body needs hospitals and airports instead of schools and places of employment. Its wierd how that changes. The POA's in your area are much higher than other places in Colorado - doesn't really make much sense to me. There are so many subdivisions - how do you choose? Guess that is my dilemma. Does Trinidad have a local newspaper that I can access online for possibly "for sale by owners"? Take care.
    Last edited by Dodie; 03-06-2010 at 08:20 PM.