Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abeyta/Vigil

Abeyta/Vigil

My ggrandfather Jesus Maria Abeyta was born in NM but lived in West Valley of the Purgotory River between 1866 and 1891. He married Maria Macedonia Vigil, d/o Jose Manuel Vigil and Maria Josefa Grine in 1887. My grandmother was born at Rio de Long, the record is written in latin and I think that is what it says. Does anyone here know where this place is at. Thank You, jaj
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-28-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Believe that Rio de Long is in or near Longs Canyon

"Local historian and genealogical researcher Alice Romero said that the original entrance to Longs Canyon was southeast of the canyon, where the dam is now. It was submerged when the Trinidad Lake dam was built. A new access bridge that crosses the Purgatoire River further west of the old entrance into Longs Canyon now serves the residents of that area."

"The Longs Canyon community had a coal mine and a thriving cattle business in the 1860s when it was first settled. It is sometimes called ‚€œLongsdale‚€Ě in older records of the region."

"Here is a list of the original families that arrived with George Horace Long from Taos, New Mexico to settle Longs Canyon Community:

Aragon, Arguello, Bent, Garcia, Labbe, LaCroix (LaCrue), Mitotes, Moguez,Montoya, Ocana, Sanchez, Suazo, Tafoya, Trujillo, Valdez and Vigil."
    Esther Deaguero Welp
    Source:http://www.trinidadco.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2412
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-28-2010 at 06:16 PM.

jaj, in LDS IGI Individual Record Jesus Maria Abeyta married to Macedonia Vigil is shown " of Long Creek, Las Animas, Colorado".
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-28-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Dodie,

Thank you very much. That helps a lot.
    I found this forum after I googled Purgotory River when I found out from census records that the Abeytas lived there. Of further interest to me has been the links to articles on the women of Boggsville, one of my ancesters is Maria Josefa Jaramillo- Carson's first cousin.

jaj
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-28-2010 at 06:17 PM.

jaj, have you read the following posts at:
    http://www.trinidadco.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-28-2010 at 06:18 PM.

jaj, regarding Maria Josefa Grine - there are 5 land patentees under Grine listed, all assigned for automation. Go to the following link and just enter last name; Grine.

Land Patent Details - BLM GLO Records
    http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/PatentSearch/Default.asp?

I am currently working with the cemetery records concerning Longsdale and Longs Canyon and will check to see if any of your family might have been buried in either one one of them. I am in the process of doing this, so if I don't find them now, maybe later on in my research I will find them. Keep in mind.....the people that were buried in Longsdale were moved to Carpio Cemetery, (which I also have access to) and the ones that were buried in the Long's Canyon Cemetery remaind there.

Thank you Alice, I will check back to see what you have found. I know that there were two female children born in CO, maybe that did not make it to NM.
    Looks like I will need to locate a copy of the Long/Thompson book, three or four of the family names listed as having left Taos, NM with Long are in my ancestry.
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-28-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Originally posted by alice romero

I am currently working with the cemetery records concerning Longsdale and Longs Canyon and will check to see if any of your family might have been buried in either one one of them. I am in the process of doing this, so if I don't find them now, maybe later on in my research I will find them. Keep in mind.....the people that were buried in Longsdale were moved to Carpio Cemetery, (which I also have access to) and the ones that were buried in the Long's Canyon Cemetery remaind there.
    Hi Alice;
    This is the first time that I have heard there is two separate cemeteries for the Longs Canyon area. I've been to the Longsdale Caprio cemetery. I don't know where the Long's Canyon cemetery is. It did not come up in the list of cemeteries in the area. My g-great-grandfather George Long was buried in Long's Canyon according to his obituary. He died 5 July 1926. Can you tell me how to get to this cemetery and it you have a record of his burial there.
    Diane Barnes
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-19-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Last edited by Dodie; 02-28-2010 at 06:24 PM.