Thread: Colorado DOT I-25 Re-construction Website

Colorado DOT I-25 Re-construction Website

I just recently found the below website, and found it very interesting that they didn't know what the small building on the railroad property was for. On the website's map it is identified as "5LA9425 Associated RR Structure"

Here are the website's photos of "5LA9425 Associated RR Structure". It is the small building on your right as you get on I-25 going north at the N. Commercial entrance.

I won't hold everyone in suspense this time. :D

Many Trinidad residents have probably noticed this building from time to time. This building was the Santa Fe RR's Water Treatment Plant for the water used in the steam engines up until the mid-50's. The chemicals were mixed with the incoming water and then pumped into the old cylindrical water tower that was along side of this building. The water was treated to prevent the water from foaming inside the locomotive's boiler. Most steam locomotives that were used as helpers on Raton Pass filled up at Starkville on their return to Trinidad, because the water was free, and Starkville's water didn't need treatment like Trinidad's water did.

Link to Colorado DOT's website map of historical buildings.
    http://www.i25trinidad.com/envstudie...turalinventory

There is a lot of additional information on historic buildings, and structures on the Colorado DOT's website. Some of these buildings have been discussed previously on the forum.

I hope some find the above informtation, and the website interesting. :) [8D]
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-06-2010 at 04:25 PM.

RRGUY,I always look forward to all the history & photos that you so kindly share with us.[:)

cshreves, Thank you. :)

What really bothers me about this one building is the DOT's statement
    about "5LA9425 Associated RR Structure";

"While site 5LA9425 is in fair physical condition, it is an undistinguished example of a 20th century rail-related building. In addition, archival research yielded no evidence that the structure played a substantial role in Trinidad's history, nor evidence that it was associated with any known person of great significance. The structure does not meet any of the National Register criteria, and does not qualify for individual listing on the NRHP."

CDOT admits that they don't even know what the building was used for, but yet come to the above conclusion about it's value as a Trinidad historic asset. :(

Additionally, I will be contacting the CDOT Project Manager, and provide him with, a 1920's photo, description of the building's designed use, date it was built, and original cost to AT&SF Rwy.

Although this effort may not benefit, nor boost it's status as a historic building, it will at least inform them as to what the building was used for in it's time, and it's significance to the railroad's needs.

Maybe I'll tell them that Casey Jones designed it. [:0]
    Just kidding. :)

RR-Guy, I love your posts! You are chuck full of cool history. I'm guessing you are a History Channel buff like me.

Side note: One of my favs is the "Wild West Tech" series. They even had one with the Ludlow Massacre. It was the first and only time that a gatling gun was used by the government against US citizens. SAD! The govenor of CO was a real whimp at that time and buckeled to Rockefeller's demands. They bought in the 5th Calvary to carry out the offensive. Government out of control. Reminds me of the Waco incident - that whole thing was so uncalled for. It sickened me. Enough ramblin - back to the topic. ;)

In honor of the man!

DB, Thank you for the tribute!
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-06-2010 at 04:27 PM.

I just received the below email from a CDOT I-25 Reconstruction representative. :) [8D]

================================================== ================

Mr. Clemens,

Thank you for your interest in the upcoming Trinidad / I-25 Reconstruction Project, and especially for sending the information regarding the Water Treatment Facility. We will pass your e-mail and the postcard image on to our Historical staff - I'm certain they will welcome the information. A great deal of thought and effort go into all CDOT transportation projects to ensure minimal impact to all resources/assets, not the least of which is Historical.

As you probably determined from the project website, the Water Treatment Facility is located on BNSF property, just outside the CDOT right-of-way line. CDOT will neither impact the building with the upcoming reconstruction project, nor do we have any control over the building since it belongs to a private owner. The BNSF may also be interested in the information your research has produced. If you've not already contacted the BNSF with this information, I'll be glad to provide you with a phone number for my Railroad contact point.

Again, I appreciate your time and interest. It's the effort of people like you that helps ensure our history is preserved for future generations. Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Doug Lollar

Benjamin "Doug" Lollar, Resident Engineer
    Colorado Department of Transportation
    902 Erie Avenue
    Pueblo, CO 81001
    Office: (719)546-5439
    Mobile: (719)251-6976
    Fax: (719)546-5702

Here is the original email I sent along with the 1934 image attachment.

Dear Mr. Garcia,

My name is Al Clemens and I am currently a member of the Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modelers Society (SFRH&MS). The website for I-25 Reconstruction Project pertaining to Trinidad, Colorado is the reason I am writing this, and it's subject pertains to the Trinidad structure termed, "5LA9425 Associated RR Structure" at the below link.

http://www.i25trinidad.com/envstudie...turalinventory

The project's description of this structure caught my attention as little or nothing was known about this small building, even after CDOT contacted several knowledgeable railroad employees.

I would like to put forward what I know of the building by way of my affiliation with the SFRH&MS, and my interest in Trinidad's railroad history specifically.

Around the 1920's the Santa Fe Railway (AT&SF Rwy) employed a chemist W.A. Powers who studied all of the water wells that the Santa Fe Railway owned at that time, and devised a process by which the water for the steam engines could be chemically treated to prevent the water from foaming in the boilers of the steam locomotives.

Your building, "5LA9425 Associated RR Structure" is a result of his process development. It is a Water Treatment Facility, which in Trinidad's case, was built in 1927. The building had storage bins which stored the chemicals for this water treatment process. The two chemicals used were lime and soda ash.
    The chemicals were delivered to the building in 100 pound sacks, man-handled up a ramp, and through the opening on the east end of the building. The sacks of lime and soda ash were then placed into each chemical's associated bin.

After the chemical treatment, the treated water was then pumped into an adjacent water tank, and delivered to the locomotives by way of piping, and water columns which were located in front of the Santa Fe Passenger Depot.

I have provided a cropped, 1934 postcard image of Trinidad (water treatment facility circa 1934.jpg) showing this small building located just to the left of the Santa Fe Railway's water tank in the center of the image.

I hope this information helps the I-25 Reconstruction Project in further determination as to the fate of this little Santa Fe structure.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Kindest regards,
    Al Clemens

RRGUY,This is great. You got a nice reply letter. Thanks for shraing your History with us.:)
    Char

RRAL please keep posting your pictures. WE LOVE EM.