Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the last book you read?

What's the last book you read?

What's the last book you read? What was it about? Did you like it?
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-06-2010 at 03:04 AM.

Jordan_76...Reading is a passion! I'm currently listening to "Suite Francaise" audio and just finished Samuel Donaldson's "Mordant's Need" series. How about you?

Glad to see more posters and variety of subjects on the forum! The last book I read was "Huerfano, Life In the Counterculture". It was written by a woman who lived at the sommune in Gardner in the 1960's. Since I was a kid at the time of the communes and remember the infamous Drop City well, it was interesting to me. Now the woman is a lawyer in Albuquerque. How ironic that a hippie somehow joins the rest of the "establishment", isn't it?

I use to deliver Coke to that commune it was formed by Dave Mason who is a famous musician. Most of those people came from very wealthy families and had plenty of money. Yes it is ironic that they were preaching peace and counter culture and then become part of the system they were trying ot change. Can you say Hypocrit?

I just finished [u]The March Up: Taking Baghdad with the United States Marines</u> by Bing West and Major General Ray L. Smith (USMC Ret.).... outstanding book!!

Just started [u] Operation Buffalo: USMC Fight for the DMZ</u> by Keith William Nolan

I'm a former Marine, so I read a lot of USMC history.

"From the Halls of Montezuma . . . To the shores of Tripoli" . . . my oldest departed brother was also a Marine in his youth and more than likely would have wanted to read the same books.

That is awesome Dodie! When did your brother serve? Do you know what he did while he was in?

Was stationed at Camp Pendleton abt. 1943. He was old enough to be my father. It was either Guadalcanal or Iwo Jima where he was sent. Never spoke about it except to say that Tyrone Power was also stationed at Camp Pendleton and that he was a nice person. I think that he was just a regular Marine, no big title and just wanted to serve his country and was proud of the Marines.

jordan_76,

The Ludlow massacre of 1913-14, by Rosemary Laughlin. Non-fiction

The book documents the strike at Ludlow, CO in 1913 over the right to organize a union and have it recognized by management, the violence and tragic ending to the strike, and how it has shaped the rights of workers today.

I found the book an excellent, historical account of the event.

SW0352,

"Semper Fi"
    Thank you for serving. :) [8D]

I had 2 older cousins that joined the Marines in the mid-50's, but they only did 1 tour and got out. I'm not even sure what they did, or where they spent their tour of duty. Sorry.
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 03-25-2010 at 03:21 AM.

Dodie,

I was also stationed at Camp Pendleton, albeit many years later (1990-1994). Whether it was Guadalcanal or Iwo Jima, your brother definatley served his country well. Those are two of the most talked about, and studied campaigns in Marine Corps History. Glad to hear that he made it back home safely.

Nothing I did in the Corps comes close to either of those campaigns, but I am very proud of my time in also. There is no bigger Brotherhood in the world than the Marine Corps.

RR-Guy,

Thank you! I was only in for one hitch (four years) myself. I kick myself everyday for gettinmg out, but as the saying goes, "hindsight's 20/20"

Semper Fidelis