Paternal Lineage Test for $99 by AncestryByDNA, Click Here for More Information
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Babies El Moro Cemetery

Looking for Babies El Moro Cemetery

I was wondering if El Moro Cemetery still exist, and if so how can I get more information. I am trying to find any information on the children of my great grandparents Florentino Gallegos & Andrellita (Salas.) I was told 6 of their 8 children died very young. Andrellita died in March 31,1929 and was buried in El Moro Cemetary. Her obit say she was servived by her husband and their 4 children. I assume any children she had may also be buried in the same cemetery. Any information would help... My grandmother Mary Gallegos and her sister Fedelina Gallegos (both in their 80's don't remember the names of the babies that died. If any one can find birth or death records for these babies I would appreciate it. Thanks
    Last edited by Dodie; 02-27-2010 at 09:57 PM.

I tried finding this cemetery with no results. I traveled to the area in September 2005 and asked people in the area of the old El Moro school if anyone knew of a cemetery in the area, no one knew they had a cemetery in El Moro, I even asked at the Visitor Center in Trinidad and got the same response! If anyone out there knows where this Cemetery is please let me know!

As you see I only got these photos of the area of El Moro!

Thanks, Manuel

jovia218, In the back of F. Dean Sneed's book, Las Animas County Ghost Towns and Mining Camps, there are hand drawn maps. Some with cemeteries indicated, and some that do not. Unfortunately, the map for El Moro does not have a cemetery indicated. Nor, does the author mention a cemetery in the text on El Moro.

MFlores, Thank you for posting the pictures of the El Moro Schoolhouse. This was another Work's Project Administration (WPA) constructed building, and built in the 1930's. According to Sneed's book, mentioned above, it is now a private residence.

jovia218, Looking at an online topography map indicates that there isn't a marked cemetery in the old townsite of El Moro (aka Elmoro, Fort Moro).

However, I found it rather interesting that I did locate on the map, a cemetery that was 1.4 miles in a direction which is slightly southeast of El Moro's old schoolhouse. This cemetery is marked on the map as the Valdez Cemetery, and is located very close to where the El Moro coke ovens were located. Or, at least where F. Dean Sneed's book indicates that they were, on one of his hand drawn maps. This cemetery appears to be only 0.1 mile east of highway 350, but it doesn't look like there is any road or jeep trail available.

Perhaps Alice Romero can comment on this particular cemetery.

Link to a topography map showing the Valdez Cemetery's location.
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...ad27&layer=DRG

RR-Guy, Thanks for the info! Maybe now I can find Andrellita and her children. I hope to make a trip to the area in the next few weeks. I will let you know if I find anything. If so I will take pictures of what I find. I would still like to know if someone can help me find the names or birth records of her children. I'm not sure if they were born in a hospital or at home. Hopefully there are baptism records or other records that I haven't been able to find on my own.:)

jovia218.

Here is a satellite image of the area where the Valdez Cemetery is located. Unfortunately the image cannot be magnified further.

I think the cemetery is the entire light, or bare area. :)

This link is no longer functional. - 11/7/13)
    http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...%7ccolorado%7c

Good luck on your search. :)
    Last edited by RR-Guy; 11-07-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Bad URL.

RR-Guy, Do you know what the building is just NW of the area? It looks like there maybe a path to that spot on the map.

quote:Originally posted by jovia218

RR-Guy, Do you know what the building is just NW of the area? It looks like there maybe a path to that spot on the map.
    jovia218, The building you refer to appears to be a ranch, or farm house. The building directly to the north appears to be a business of some type. These are 1999 satellite images, but I don't think too much has changed out that direction very much in 8 years.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a path up to the cemetery. However, I'm sure it is currently on private property.
    Ask permission first. :)

Hope this helps. :)

There are two listings.....Valdez Cemetery No. 1...c 2 miles northeast of Trinidad (Sec. 4, T33S, R63W, 6th P.M.) Valdez Cemetery No. 2.....c 10 miles east of Aguilar, c 6 miles north-east of Ludlow ( Sec. 28, T30S, R63W, 6th P.M.). There is also a listing for an El Moro Cemetery but it has no location or legals. This information was taken from the Colorado Cemetery Directory, Colorado Council of Genealogical Societies, Denver, Colorado, copyright 1985. I will post if I find any more information for you. Hope this help. Alice

I HOPE YOU FIND THEM, I KNOW ABOUT 35 YEARS AGO. MY SISTER AND TWO COUSINS CLEANED AN AREA IN THE WESTON CEMETERY THAT HAD A LOT OF LITTLE GRAVES. THE GRAVES THAT HAD MARKERS WERE NOT READABLE.