Fly Fishing Gear at Basspro.com

Thread: Uberti family

Uberti family

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forums and am posting on behalf of my friend in Italy. She is trying to locate the grave of Ottavio Uberti (born in in Zumaglia, Italy in 1854). He arrived in the U.S. in August of 1883, and moved to Trinidad, CO. He ran many saloons there, including one next to the Trinidad Hotel. (see pix). His first wife, Maria Jantolo Cort Uberti and he had one daughter, named Louise Helen Uberti (assume her birth was around 1887 per the 1900 census). Not sure when his first wife passed away, but it showing him as widower in the next census. In 1910, he went to live with his daughter, now Helen Talley in Littleton. He passed away in 1932 in Denver, but the death certificate shows the body was being to shipped to Trinidad for burial. We are hoping someone can find his final resting place in Trinidad. I would assume it would most likely be in the Catholic Cemetary? I have checked all the lists online for this cemetary, however, do not see his name. I have also tried to contact the church directly, but no one ever answers the phone? Can anyone help? Thanks so much! Mary Pat and Antonella
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Uberti family

April 27, 1932-CHRONICLE NEWS
    OTTOVIO GIOVANNI ALBERTO UBERTI, FORMER OLD RESIDENT OF TRINIDAD, DIED IN DENVER
    Ottovio Uberti, 80 years old, one of the former pioneer residents of Trinidad, and for many years last past a resident of Denver, passed away Sunday in that city. Word was received here today, and body will be received Thursday morning by the R. G. Sipe Undetaking.

Uberti for may years conducted the old Metropolitan hotel in this city, and was also in the saloon business before prohibition days. He had resided in this community for some 45 years, leaving Trinidad some 15 years ago.

Deceased was well known to many old residents. He was born in northern Italy. coming from his native land to the United States he originally settled in old Blossburg in the prosperous mining days of that town. Later he came to Sopris where he conducted a store for some years, and after that set up in business in Trinidad. He was a member of the Redmen and was prominent among the Italian resident families.

His wife died here and is buried here. He is survived by a daughter Mrs. Louise Helen Talley who accompanies the body from Denver. Funeral will take place Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Catholic church, with interment in the Catholic cemetery here, under the direction from the R. G. Sipe Undertaking Co.

Ottavio was born on December 29, 1854-Piemonte, Italy and died on April 24, 1932 in Denver, Colorado.

More information and photo can be obtained from "Find a Grave" website.

I'll see if I can find an obit. for his wife.

Alice

Find A Grave - Ottavio Giovanni Alberto Uberti; Catholic Cemetery - memorial page:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=93399803&

Alice,
    Thank You so very much for the obituary!!!! We were not sure Ottavio's final resting place was in the Catholic cemetary, but we kind of suspected that was the case. We were only able to obtain a very small obituary from the Catholic Diocese newspaper that stated the body was being sent to Trinidad for burial, but it did not say what cemetary. I started the page on findagrave.com in hope that we will someday get a volunteer to photograph his final resting place. It has been quite a fun journey helping Antonella find her ancestors in America...she is very greatful for any information we can obtain!!! It has become an interesting story learning about Ottavio's life in Trinidad, and has made me want to visit myself, since we have read so much of the history of the area, and Sopris.
    Once again, thank you so very much for your help!
    Mary Pat and Antonella